First Run at Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottnme

Reaction score
So I brewed up a batch last evening and while brewing I activated the 2112 Cal Lager smackpack which never really expanded. I pitched it anyway after about 5 hours just before going to bed at 73F. The temp this morning was 72F and there is no sign of any activity.

So now what...

I think I'm grasping at straws but is there any reason that this yeast wouldn't startup until it reaches it's max optimum temp of 68F or do I just need to go get another pack? (I'm thinking another pack picked up at the LHBS is the way to go.)

Until it swells you shouldn't toss it in, are you sure you actually broke the activator chamber inside? I had a hard time getting my last one to pop, and then it took several hours for the swelling to start. In any event I would go to your LHBS and pick up another packet of yeast and toss it in ASAP!

I would think that your temp was too high, the yeast likes it cold and you probably did break the pack just had it too hot, you need those babies around 50 for them to be happy. Looks like another yeast pack is in order.

I feel like I'm getting two entirely different answers so far.

I typically do wait until they swell but I kind of figured that maybe it was just slow and was on my way to bed so I tossed it in thinking that it would take off overnight. Could I have done any damage the the brew? And yes I am sure that the chamber broke.

The instructions were to activate at 70-75F then pitch and hold at 70-75F until fermentation is evident. Is that incorrect for this yeast? If that is the case, with the optimum temp range (per Wyeast website) being 58-68F, do you think that what is in there will start to wake up after dropping the temp?

Either way, my plan is to pickup another pack on the way home to get things going, I'm just trying to understand exactly what happened so as not to repeat my mistake. Thanks.

With a lager you want more yeast anyways. Yooper and menschmachine definitely told me to get down to 55 or so before pitching.

You would probably be OK doing nothing. Your beer would be better, faster with more yeast. Lagers take longer to get going anyways.

You do intend to cool it down to 55 or so to ferment? higher temps will create unwanted flavors in a lager.

I'm hoping for low 60's but we'll see how good I am at temp control...

That's also why I'm using the Cal Lager...higher temps.

Either way, it can't be as bad as the Bud Light I was forced to drink over the weekend.

I don't think you hurt anything but you should of allowed the smack pack to swell so the yeast already were up and running! They come out of the pack happy and hungry, instead you dropped them in the vast sea half asleep.

But anyhow just get another pack, let it swell and toss it in! And don't worry if nothing happens right away, my last lager took a few days to show activity.

Back