First RIS... SO SWEET

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
Grain Bill
2 Row Base 17 pounds 78%
Biscuit 1 pound 5%
Chocolate 1 pound 5%
Black Patent 12 ounces 3%
Crystal 120L 12 ounces 3%
Special B 12 ounces 3%
Barley (Roasted) 8 ounces 2%

Hop Bill
Chinook 1.5oz 90min
Chinook 1.0oz 60min
Chinook 0.5oz 30min

Mashed at 150F
Pitched 1.5L of WLP002

1.099OG→1.026FG→9.6%ABV
89 IBU
46.1°L SRM

SO. This was a RIS i brewed in December. It is pretty damn sweet and total lack of roasted character. I thought the 20's is a decent FG for a RIS. The things i think might be at play here are the OG:IBU ratio <1.0 and the 3oz of C120/Special B. Ive used C120 before, maybe it wasnt the best choice if i wanted a roasty stout. I figured over 2 lbs of roasted grains would have given me something but it appears to be overpowered by sweetness. I also probably wont put special B into a stout again. Thoughts???

Imo I would have omited the special b and increased the roasted barley and maybe another .5 lbs of chocolate malt. With that yeast it always seems to leave a sweeter finish, I've started using 001 or US-05 for my stouts. I was gonna say decrease ur mash temp too but your already at 150, maybe next time try a 45 min hold.

Back