First recipe...How does it look??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
Been brewing for several years but have mostly been tweaking recipes off HBT. Here's my first original recipe wanted to see what y'all think. Going for a nice house pale ale with lots of hop flavor and aroma. Any feedback is appreciated!

10 pounds 2-row
12 oz honey malt
8 oz crystal 40
8 oz cara pils

1oz citra 20
1oz mosaic 10
1 oz citra 0
1 oz citra dry hop
1 oz mosaic dry hop

WL-001

OG: 1.056
IBU: 44
SRM: 8

Looks good to me. Don't know about that hop combo but I believe mosaic is super fruity like citra. Combined with honey malt and you have a beer that could be an umbrella drink.

I say go for it. You may want a bittering addition. From my experience, skipping the bitter addition to save ibu for flavor additions resulted in intensely strong hop flavors that didn't seem to bring much bitterness. Maybe 10-15 ibu tops from bittering just to establish some bitterness.

Good luck :D

Been brewing for several years but have mostly been tweaking recipes off HBT. Here's my first original recipe wanted to see what y'all think. Going for a nice house pale ale with lots of hop flavor and aroma. Any feedback is appreciated!

10 pounds 2-row
12 oz honey malt
8 oz crystal 40
8 oz cara pils

1oz citra 20
1oz mosaic 10
1 oz citra 0
1 oz citra dry hop
1 oz mosaic dry hop

WL-001

OG: 1.056
IBU: 44
SRM: 8

I like the recipe when I use citra I do do a 60 min addition for bittering say half an ounce or 1 ounce (i go for about 70ish IBU's but that's me) I hear Mosaic is fantastic I have used motueka to dry hop with citra and they blend together great good luck looks like a winner to me

RonPopeil said:
You may want a bittering addition.
This. Even if only .5 oz of one of the hops you're using, I would do it. I'd probably use cascade though at 60 min. You won't raise the IBUs up extensively so it surpasses an easy drinker house ale but you'll add a little depth.
It looks very good. When did you plan on brewing? Be sure and report back please.

Have you used that much honey malt before in other brews? The first time I used honey malt I used 8 ounces in the cream of three crops recipe on here and that s definitely more than enough. The honey malt, to me, seemed to give more of a nutty and grainy taste rather than sweet.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I used a .75 pound of honey malt in a honey orange wheat recipe off HBT a while back and it turned out pretty good. I'm going to dial it back to .5 pound in this recipe though because I do not want it to turn out too sweet. As for the bittering addition I will go with .5 of cascade that way I will bring up my ibu's some yes still let the citra and mosaic shine through. The reason I did not have one previously was just because I was trying to stay within the style guidelines in Beersmith.

Per the changes:

OG:1.054
IBU: 55 ( ten points from the .5 cascade bittering addition)

Plan is to brew this week, I'll keep you guys posted.

Latest posts

Back