first plum cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkflakes

Reaction score
Just tasted my first successful plum cider, super excited to see how it ages. I decided to go ahead and do it after searching a bit and finding this old thread which had some pretty hilarious comments.

Etqoz4gXEAEjm9V-1.jpg

ingredients:
bread yeast packet
quart prune juice
3 quarts honeycrisp cider
red star cuvee yeast
table sugar

process:
boiled 1 pack of red star baking yeast with 12 oz prune juice (we're calling it plum so it's not disgusting sounding lol) for 15 mins
diluted 7 oz honey in that
put 3 quarts of pasteurized honeycrisp cider with the remainder of the prune juice in my carboy
added the honey/yeast mixture
pitched cuvee yeast
bottled two weeks later with 1 oz table sugar dissolved in water.

og: 1073
fg:1002
ABV just over 9%

I added the plum for acidity and it didn't hurt that it boosted my ABV along with the honey. I opened a bottle today and it was nice and tart. Kind of interesting that the color of it was orange, since in the carboy it was a dark purple. It really tasted like a young white wine except that it had a bit of an olivey flavor which I'm hoping will fade after a few months. Also, it was pretty hazy especially toward the bottom, still good but not pretty. If I wanted to avoid that in the future, could anyone give an estimate to how much pectic enzyme I might need?

Back