First partial mast : midwestern cascade pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumo

Reaction score
Hi,

Just ordered my first partial mash kit: midwestern cascade pale ale. So far all I have done is Mr Beer with a bit of dry hopping at the end. I'm a bit nervous but excited too.

Cheers!

OK so I did it, but I have a few big concerns.

Firstly, and I suspected this would be an issue, mash temp was varied, got the water to 156 and added the grains and mixed well. However, it rapidly fell to 140 (well 10 mins) and by adding more hot water and mixing I kept it to 150-160 for 75 mins. BUT it was nearer or just above 160 for some of that time. It heated up much quicker than I expected. I tasted it and it tasted sweet and malty. However, when pouring it into the brew kettle (I spragued into a separate kettle then transferred) I noticed there was a sort of white haze/cloudiness 'hanging' in the liquid. Is that normal?

Second problem. My hydrometer hadn't arrived and I went ahead without it (too impatient...). Airlock activity started 3 hours after closing the lid, BUT completely stopped 16 hours later. Not a sign of movement. Thinking I might have a leak I took the lid on and off (also to peak in). The wort was bubbling slowly and there was a bit krausen on top, but nothing crazy, maybe half covered in thin foam.

Questions: Did my inconsistent mash temps leave me with less fermentable sugar and therefore a very rapid ferment? If so, will this beer be vile?

When my hydromeyter arrives, will taking a FG reading be of any use at all, not knowing how if started?

I knew I would have some issues with the first partial mash, but I am a bit disappointed I don't seem to even have got a proper fermentation out of this :-(. I know no sign of airlock activity is not good indication, but surely little krausen is also a good (well bad) sign?

Here are some pics. Anything else I did wrong?

Getting ready:
c3kk.jpg

Mashing. Ahhh mash temp..... :-(
uaqw.jpg

Sparging
m5yw.jpg

The boil begins (almost):
916u.jpg

Ice from sanitised tupperware got it to 80f in minutes:
m79h.jpg

Finished, left it at 68-70f. Bubbles within 3 hrs, then all stopped the next day :-(
14u8.jpg

It should be fine. If the beer had krausen on it, it's fermenting. No worries!

Next time, try stirring the mash extremely well when you add the water, and make the water hotter as it normally drops about 10-12 degrees. So, use 165 degree water and stir like you mean it. Then cover it, stick it in the oven (warmed and turned off) or wrap it in a sleeping bag or something to insulate it. If you don't open it or take off the insulation, it will stay warmer longer and be fine.

Lumo said:
Hi,

Just ordered my first partial mash kit: midwestern cascade pale ale. So far all I have done is Mr Beer with a bit of dry hopping at the end. I'm a bit nervous but excited too.

Cheers!

Congratulations! I remember my first and only partial mash. Lots of questions and uncertainty. I later discovered that you have to do it once to begin to understand what you did that was right, what was wrong, and what you can do to make things better. So I think the beer will be great AND this is a learning experience.

As I side note; I watched a lot of you tube videos to see how other people do all grain when I wanted to move that direction. Watching the videos gave me an opportunity to observe and better understand what I should do. After watching a particular video on all grain batch sparging with a single infusion mash, i commented that it did not seem that difficult. This gave me confidence that i could do the same. You might find something like this helpful.

Once again congratulations.

Mark

Thanks for the kind words and support. I knew some things would come up.

Well I popped the lid again to check the krausen and bubbles (and to check the lid seal).

To me it doesn't look right. It looks and smells OK, but very little krausen and only slow bubbling noticeable. Here's a picture - any thoughts on it? (thats about 40hrs after pitching)

vh9z.jpg

Left over krausen, hops I think, did you just dump them in? And co2 bubbles. Looks fine to me for 40 hours. Wait another week or two before opening the fermenter again.

Thanks for the replies. All my extract brews had an inch of krausen on them, so in comparison this looks quite feeble to me. Very good to know it looks healthy.

Yes, those must be the aroma hops from the end of the boil. I didn't filter them out, the profile of the beer was slightly under-hopped for my taste, so I thought I would just leave them in for the fermentation.

Looks like you're on your way to a good beer my friend. Those pictures look normal to me (hop material, etc).

Back