First Partial Mash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatHead

Reaction score
First a huge thanks to all the experienced brewers that have answered questions, not only mine but others as well because they answered questions I didn't even know I had. In less than two months I have went from not really knowing how to do an extract brew to doing a partial mash with no big mistakes. That should mean that I can do small BIAB batches or half BIAB batches as well.

The experience was amazing and I don't see me doing many all extract recipes very often. I am sure I will make a couple a year but the freedom to design and experiment are just way to convenient and fun.

To any new brewer that is reading this I recommend getting a few extract kits in and then read Deathbrewers Partial mash thread stickied in this forum. If you can steap specialty grains you can partial mash.

First a huge thanks to all the experienced brewers that have answered questions, not only mine but others as well because they answered questions I didn't even know I had. In less than two months I have went from not really knowing how to do an extract brew to doing a partial mash with no big mistakes. That should mean that I can do small BIAB batches or half BIAB batches as well.

The experience was amazing and I don't see me doing many all extract recipes very often. I am sure I will make a couple a year but the freedom to design and experiment are just way to convenient and fun.

To any new brewer that is reading this I recommend getting a few extract kits in and then read Deathbrewers Partial mash thread stickied in this forum. If you can steap specialty grains you can partial mash.

I remember my first attempt with grains. I was like is it really this easy? Yes it is, with proper knowledge/preparation.

I remember my first attempt with grains. I was like is it really this easy? Yes it is, with proper knowledge/preparation.

Preperation is the key. I bet I read the partial mash instructions 5 or 6 times before brewing it. I set out to combine a couple of my favorites. I love Arrogant Bastard and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is probably my most bought beer so I wanted to combine them so I went to the top of the pale ale ale category in both ABV and IBU and hopped with Chinook and Centenial. I think I accomplished what I wanted to, only problem I see is it is a little darker than I planned.

DB's PM thread is epic. Really well done and helped simplify a process that isnt difficult but can be intimidating to the new brewer. I know I found it invaluable. Good luck with your brew! I see BIAB in your future. :rockin:

Back