First Partial Mash, how's my recipe? (IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymanback92

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm starting my 3rd batch this Sunday and I'm doing my first partial mash; I'm very excited, I found extract recipes left me feeling like my beer wasn't living up to my standards. It's not that I look down on extracts, but to me, it seems like the difference between instant mashed potatoes and homemade mashed potatoes; I guess using that metaphor, a partial mash is somewhere in between.

Anyway, I used a brew recipe builder online to kinda figure out what I'm going for. Here's what I got:

Batch size: 5.5 gallons
Boil size: 5 gallons
OG:1.088 (according the the calculator) FG: 1.022
(target) ABV: 8.71%
SRM:11-12
Boil Length: 60 minutes
Conversation: (playing it safe cause it's my first partial mash I'm gonna say 50%, but it may well be higher.)

(Note: I have 1.5lbs of Carapils, 2lbs of White Wheat, 5lbs of 2-row, 3lbs of Amber DME, 2lbs Light DME, and 1lb of Turbinado- that's the total of all my ingredients; they've been purchased)

1.5lb American Carapils
2lb American White Wheat
1lb UK-Crystal 50L
5lb American Pale 2-row
3lb DME-Amber
1lb DME-Light
.5lb Turbinado(In Gordon Strong's book "Brewing Better Beers" he says that adding brown sugar makes the alcohol have a "dryer" taste, so I figured I'd give it a try.)

Yeast: California Ale yeast WLP001

(Here's my hop list, quantity and the time of the additions; however, I'm totally open to changing around my hop schedule)
1oz Simcoe 13% AA
2oz Magnum 14.1%AA
2oz Columbus 13.9%
2oz Amarillo 9.2%

Hop Schedule:
1oz Magnum 14.1%AA at 60 minutes
1oz Columbus 13.9%AA at 60 minutes
.5oz Simcoe 13%AA at 30 minutes
1oz Amarillo 9.2%AA at 15 minutes
1oz Amarillo 9.2%AA at 5 minutes

I've never Dry hopped my beers, since it's an IPA (more of a DIPA) I'm thinking of dry hopping with:

1oz Magnum
.5oz Simcoe
1oz Columbus

I will be adding 4.5oz of hops to my boil, and dry hopping with 2.5oz.

I will be bottling my beer(I've successfully bottled one batch, and it wasn't to bad) . Due to me being a broke as college student, a keg system is totally out of reach; for right now at least. Can't wait till I can get some Cornies! I'll probably just use 3/4 cup of corn Sugar, as that's done me well in the past, should I change my priming method for this recipe?

I'll be following steps similar to this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Please let me know your thoughts! This is the first of my own recipes, I'm probably making mistakes somewhere. I live on the West Coast, so I'm shooting for a beer with a massive hoppyness and high ABV. I've also read, and experienced, beers that use alittle bit of wheat get a really nice mouth feel, and "creaminess", am I using to much? Will my beer be to sweet with all the crystal and dextrine malt? Should I skip the Turbinado(pure brown sugar, for those who don't know)? How's my hop schedule look?

None of my friends are homebrewers (trying to get them as hooked as I am though!) so I don't have anyone who's experienced with brewing to bounce ideas off of, help me out guys! :mug:

Back