First original recipe...any input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bperlmu

Reaction score
so until now, all of my beers have been based off of a recipe of some kind but seeing as how i have a good amount of extra ingredients from previous batches, i figured id try creating a recipe of my own with what ai have on hand and see how it comes out. anyway, here is what i was thinking...i guess im sort of aiming at a hoppy brown or amber ale
8 lbs mountmellick light LME
1/2 lb 75 l crsytal
1/4 lb special B
1/2 lb chocolate
2 oz victory
a coulpe oz's of wheat (perhaps?)

1 oz chinnok pellets (boil)
cascade (finish and dry hop)...i also have some saaz and KG and hallertauer on had too if i want to vary it up a bit..........

WL British Ale yeast

any one made anything similar to this? how does this sound to you guys? the recipe was half based off of an amercan amber recipe and half based on what i have in my ingredients box.....i guess we'll just see how it comes out. im hopin to brew it this weekend.
thanks. happy drinking........

With the chocolate, you'll definitely be closer to a brown.

Not sure how well the chocolate and cascade will match up.

Maybe leave off the chocolate and shoot for more of a Pale ALe...

Sounds good though.

BierMuncher said:
With the chocolate, you'll definitely be closer to a brown.

Not sure how well the chocolate and cascade will match up.

Maybe leave off the chocolate and shoot for more of a Pale ALe...

Sounds good though.

Yeah, I'd say drop the chocolate to 1/4 lb or lose it. That's just me though. Actually 1/2 lb. is going to push you close to Porter land. :D

Looks like a nice first one!

I think Cascade and chocolate malt will work, I use Amarillo in my American brown and I must say they really make the beer excellent.

I'd say the opposite. Stick with the chocolate and drop the cascade...some kent golding for the finishing would make it wonderful.

not a big fan of pale ales, tho ;)

Back