first mini mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarbass

Reaction score
First mini mash yesterday .....Saison! Took awhile before I stuck the thermometer deeper in the mash realizing it was about 20° warmer towards the bottom. Has me wondering if I should be reading temps in the middle or top of the Tun (stainless steel pot)......or if I just need to stir more...or to "relax, not worry......"?

what was the temp you were reading at the top VS. the bottom? How are you mashing, you said it was stainless steel pot. Is the water you are mashing with heated in the same pot or do you add it in from a a hot liquor tank?

Sorry...it was BIAB in the Pot and would add heat as it cooled....or I presumed it was cooling with temp (top) around 140 .... but 160 below.

If you're mashing in a pot, it's best to add some boiling water to bring your temperature up rather than add heat for just the reason you mentioned, and stir well. What works well for me is getting my water and grain to the right temp, then putting the lid on the pot and insulating it as much as I can with blankets, coats, sleeping bags, whatever. Since Saisons like to be mashed low anyhow, losing a few degrees if you start in the mid-upper 140's shouldn't be a big problem.

First of all thanks so much for the reply secondly .....tell me you're NOT an Upright player! I play as well and live in Las Vegas!!!!!!!!

awesome answer, sorry I couldnt get back to you faster I was having issues with my login at home.

Latest posts

Back