First Mead....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buraglio

Reaction score
So I decided to try to make some mead today. I wanted to start with something simple since I'm pretty new to brewing in general, and really, really new to mead.
I opted to try the "Ancient Orange Mead" recipe that I've seen floating around ( http://www.moremead.com/mead_logs/Ancient_OCC.html ). Anyway, I followed the instructions (except I had to use a 3 gallon carboy, it's all I had free) and after 12 hours I still see no activity.
Should I just wait it out? I expected to see some activity a few hours later but nothing...
I'm happy to admit defeat and start over with something new but I'd at least like to verify and know what I did incorrectly.
I'm also happy to wait it out and start something else in parallel (plus I still need to bottle a batch of beer).

Any help or insight greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

nb

Adolphus79 said:
RDWHAHB, 12 hours ain't nothing... wait at least 3 days before re-pitching...

Cool, thanks. It's looking pretty scummy right now (dunno if thats normal or not, I just started using glass). I'll leave it along for a few more days and see what happens.

Thanks again!
nb

Champaign eh? I've been waiting to find someone else in Chambana that brews.
MY roomate has 3 gallons of JOAM going right now. Along with 5.5gals of a traditional sweet mead....and 15gallons of beer.

Wow, thats pretty awesome. I'm pretty much a novice, but I'm hoping to pick it up quickly. I just tested my first batch and, while maybe tasting a little weak, I think it's about ready to bottle. Flavor is pretty good and aroma is really good. Hydrometer readings look ok. I'm going to give it a few more days (since I just don't have time yet) but I think so far, so good. My mead is starting to ferment, it's been a good past few weeks.
Are you involved in the Champaign Home brewers club at all? https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ro/www/BoneyardUnionofZymurgicalZealots/
I'm thinking about checking out a few meetings or happy hours. I work at the same place as the prez of the club so he's encouraged me to check it out (plus given me some pointers).

I've looked at the Champaign Homebrew Club, but haven't attended anything. I'm guess I'm worried it'd be really awkward with a bunch of old guys and me who is only 22.

z987k said:
I've looked at the Champaign Homebrew Club, but haven't attended anything. I'm guess I'm worried it'd be really awkward with a bunch of old guys and me who is only 22.

Well, I'm only 32 but my wife claims that I act like I'm 12. I'm probably going to hit up the next happy hour, which is this week. If it's not what I'm looking for, at least I got to have a few beers.

nb

First time I made sparkling ginger mead (barkshack) I used one package of red star yeast. That was years ago.

This time around I actually read the instructions which call for 28 grams of yeast for 5 gallons; gee, at five grams per package - that's almost six packages. The results came after about 14 hours and were fantastic. The tempurature was also a constant 76 degrees.

Sometimes I tip-toe into that room, with two carboys filled with fermenting mead, and listen to the fizz - it's quite loud even for me and I am half-deaf. The meads are crystal clear, the glass is clear, and they are both filled with those lovely little chamgagne bubbles. I love watching the bubbles jumping into the air inside the carboy - fizz, fizz, fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

RangerG said:
First time I made sparkling ginger mead (barkshack) I used one package of red star yeast. That was years ago.

This time around I actually read the instructions which call for 28 grams of yeast for 5 gallons; gee, at five grams per package - that's almost six packages. The results came after about 14 hours and were fantastic. The tempurature was also a constant 76 degrees.

Sometimes I tip-toe into that room, with two carboys filled with fermenting mead, and listen to the fizz - it's quite loud even for me and I am half-deaf. The meads are crystal clear, the glass is clear, and they are both filled with those lovely little chamgagne bubbles. I love watching the bubbles jumping into the air inside the carboy - fizz, fizz, fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It's fermenting now, I checked it today and it's certainly working. It's not fizzing but it is 1 gallon of mead in a 3 gallon carboy so it kinda makes sense. It bubbles several times a minute.

nb

buraglio said:
Well, I'm only 32 but my wife claims that I act like I'm 12. I'm probably going to hit up the next happy hour, which is this week. If it's not what I'm looking for, at least I got to have a few beers.

nb

I figured I'd try to make one after the first of the year when I'll have more time to do stuff.

Back