First mead...now fermenting after a rocky start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M-P

Reaction score
So about a week ago I decided to make my first mead. It was essentially the MAOM recipe with with 7lbs of orange blossom honey for a 2.5 lb batch. I went to the LHBS to get my ingredients and asked about some yeast nutrient and energizer, but was told not to worry about the energizer (they call it high alcohol yeast nutrient since it is different than the normal yeast nutrient). I went home, made it, and was amazed at how easy it was compared to brewing beer. So I put the mead in the closet next to my stout and went to sleep feeling good about it.

Fast forward 4 days...no activity and the yeast is just sitting on the bottom. Day 5 went back to the LHBS and asked again (different person) and what do you know, I did need the energizer (like I read about on here) and he didn't know what the other guy was thinking when he told me I didn't. So I got some, brought it home, put it in the fermenters, and shook the hell out of them to get the yeast off the bottom. Now...24 hours later..I have activity!!! And the wait begins...I'm excited.

Fermentation.jpg

Sounds like my home brew store. The owner opened up a winery next door, so he has neglected the supplies. The result is twits who I argue with a lot to get wine supplies and have to rely on paperwork, not having basic supplies (golden malt extract for my husband), and when they special order things (two 1/2 gallon jugs) for me because they don't have it, they don't set it aside. I've gotten use to it, and deal with things on my own and do alright, but He Who Make Beer hates the place more than I do, which kind of surprises me. He is the patient one, but maybe the speed of beer brewing makes him more impatient.

Back