First Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikemead

Reaction score
I've been brewing from extract for about a year so 16 ish under my belt

And my brother buys me a mash tun for my birthday :)
So I quickly put it into uses
I'm just after any thoughts on what I've done
Maris otter Pale 4kg
90 minute mash
90 minute boil
60g golden ( English ) for 60
20g golden 3 Irish moss for 10

It's a UK 4ish gallon / 20 litre brew

SG 1.042
Started Saurday the 11 th

And fingers x that after half a days brewing the wife likes it as she had to deal with the kids

Any thoughts

Nice brother. All mine does is drink my beer and give me back empties. :D
I take it that the 'golden' additions are hops? I'm not familiar with that variety.
Looks like a tasty pale ale. What yeast did you use?

I'm lucky that none of my 4 brothers really drink ale though my in laws more than make up for it
Yeast is youngs ale so a bit ishy not the best I've used but what I had in the house
And yes golden is the hops I've used but they were pellet again what I had in the house

East Kent Golding is a classic UK ale hop,for those that don't know. To me,it tastes & smells like herbs with lemon grass with a touch of floral. Good stuff. A 60 minute mash & boil would've been fine with the marris otter malt. Great classic ale malt. It's usually pilsner malts & other's that aren't well modified that need a 90 minute mash & boil.

East Kent Golding is a classic UK ale hop,for those that don't know. To me,it tastes & smells like herbs with lemon grass with a touch of floral. Good stuff. QUOTE]

Duhhh :drunk: I never made the connection that 'Golden' might be EKG.
My two goto hops when I do English styles- EKG and Fuggles, although sometimes I throw some german or american hops in just to mix things up.

Cheers for the advise I will keep mash down to 60 minutes for the next one , I just didn't want to under do it on the first one out.
It turned out great really clear and light, if a little strong for a true session beer.
A very summery beer

The length of time you need to mash depends on the crush of your grain. Most of the mash time is waiting for the grains to wet to the center and leaching the sugars that are converted. If your crush is too coarse, you need a long mash. Very fine crushes can use a much shorter mash. How short? I don't know but with my Corona mill set a tight as I can and a paint strainer for the mash (BIAB) I tried a 10 minute mash and hit my gravity spot on. Another week will tell the rest of the story but it appears that I'm right on the projected FG so I think I got the effect of the beta amylase to get the fermentability I wanted.

I use the factory setting of .039" on my Barley Crusher mill. A 1 hour mash for ales works great with pb/pm biab beers I do. But any kind of lager or hybrid does better with 90 minute mash & boil. Even well modified pilsner malts & such seem to do better with the longer mash & boil.

Back