First Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSUCatBrewer

Reaction score
I am preparing to jump to all grain and I just built my first mash tun. Followed directions to a tee...turned out great! When I tested the seal there is the SLIGHTEST SLIGHTEST SLIGHTEST bit of drippage by the valve after 20 min (by slight I mean if I wasn't looking hard for it specifically, I wouldn't see it). I physically can't tighten the nut and valve anymore. I'm guessing this is no big deal?

Not really an issue but overtime if its dripping on the outside there is a risk of sweet wort collecting on the insulating layer of the mash tun. It will make the perfect breeding ground for mold/bacteria which could add the potential for off flavors.

You can get some silicon or a gasket to seal it from the inside. As far as food safe products its up to you.

I wouldnt be too concerned about it. If it does bother you, you can get high temp, food safe sealant and use that to stop the dripping.

FWIW, mine drips. I did use sealant on it, but rebuilt part of it and never put it on when I rebuilt it. I did a 90 min mash today and had a spot probably the size of quarter under the valve after 90 mins.

brewhardware sells bulkheads that don't leak. the bulkheads that use threaded nipples are a pain and leak unless you use a ****load of teflon tape.

What is your setup like? Maybe you could add a washer so that you could tighten a bit more before the threads bottom out?

Latest posts

Back