first lambic/barrel project. few last minute questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPSareKEY

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm starting my first lambic barrel project and just have a few final questions...

I plan to add 2 packets of wyeast 3278 lambic blend to 5 gal of already fermented beer that is 1.007 fg and let it sit in a 5 gal barrel for a year. The beer is a wheat fermented with american ale yeast. Since the fg is so low, do you think I should add anything to give the yeast/brett/lacto more to eat? if so, what? Im going for rather sour and I wouldnt want the additive impacting the body much.

I plan to sanitize barrel with bourbon sloshed around and drained.will that be sufficient?

Do I have to aerate the beer prior to pitching the yeast(3278) in the barrel?

Thank you!

you can add some malto-D, but even at 1/007 there is plenty for the bugs to chew on. since you are going for very sour, a little MD (maybe an oz per gallon) wouldn't hurt. boil it in water to sanitize beforehand.

sloshing some bourbon around is not sufficient sanitation. there are plenty of threads here about using very hot/boiling water, sulfur sticks, etc.

no, do not aerate prior to pitching the 3278.

Back