First lager recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruinpilot

Reaction score
I am going to try my hand at a lager and wanted to get a reccomendation for an easy recipe for my first try. I want to do all grain or partial grain in a 5 gallon batch size. I am not a fan of overly hoppy beers, other than that i am willing to try any good recipe that is fairly easy so i can have a higher chance of success. I am in South Texas, so my water is fairly high in carbonates and i guess that rules out pilsner... Thanks for the input.

I've been working on my vienna lager recipe lately... for 5 gallons it goes something like this:

6.5 lbs Vienna Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
4.0 oz Melanoiden Malt
1.0 oz Carafa II dehusked
Mash@ 152.0 F 60 min

90 min boil

1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 16.6 IBUs
.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 5.0 IBUs

Brewed this version with a coworker (this was his maiden brew voyage). He took it to his family Christmas party, and it went over very well!

12342462_10205649917743381_9187462489368460354_n.jpg

I am going to try my hand at a lager and wanted to get a reccomendation for an easy recipe for my first try. I want to do all grain or partial grain in a 5 gallon batch size. I am not a fan of overly hoppy beers, other than that i am willing to try any good recipe that is fairly easy so i can have a higher chance of success. I am in South Texas, so my water is fairly high in carbonates and i guess that rules out pilsner... Thanks for the input.

I'm a big fan of Marzen.

50% dark munich (8-10L)

40% pilsner

10% caramunich II (45L)

Aim for 1.055.

Single noble hop addition at 60min for about 25 IBU.

The KEY to lagers... keep the recipes simple. The prize comes from your process. Keep it clean, pitch generously, keep it cold and you will be rewarded.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451360297.796065.jpg

To simplify things for your first lager, I'd recommend dry yeast (eg. W34/70) so that you don't need to worry about making a massive starter and keeping OG under 1.050 (so you don't need a long lagering period). Use at least two packets of dry yeast for a low to mid gravity 5gal batch. You could still brew a pilsner (German, not Bohemian), with some acid added to bring the mash pH into line, but if you don't like hoppy beers then it's probably not the best choice! How about a schwartzbier (black lager)? Jamil's recipe (from BCS) is superb (the grain bill is similar to https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=82810 ).

Thanks for all of the good ideas. The Vienna lager looks simple enough. A schwartzbier since it's darker may hide some minor mistake. I've only had a sip of marzen once. My brother, who knows my taste in beers, had me sample one he had once and I really liked it. So I may go that way... Anyways I appreciate the leads on the recipes.

As to the yeast, can I avoid growing a starter by just pitching a greater quantity of dry yeast? If so, that's a great idea. I have never used dry yeast, are there any drawbacks to it?

As to the yeast, can I avoid growing a starter by just pitching a greater quantity of dry yeast? If so, that's a great idea. I have never used dry yeast, are there any drawbacks to it?

Only drawback of dry lager yeast is lack of variety. I'm only aware of 1 choice... 34/70.

Pitch 2 packs to 5 gallons. Pitch at 45-50F. Do not under pitch, do not pitch warm, and do not ferment warm. Otherwise you're wasting your time.

The KEY to lagers... keep the recipes simple. The prize comes from your process. Keep it clean, pitch generously, keep it cold and you will be rewarded.

Good advice here.

Echoing what others have said, if you want to keep it simpler overall, stick with dry yeast for your first attempt. You don't have to worry about building up a big starter then.

Good luck with whatever recipe you settle on!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 2112 Cali Lager
Yeast Starter: 2 L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 33.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 3.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 Weeks @ 58
Additional Fermentation: Lagered in the Keg for 1.5 months
Tasting Notes: Like Bud Light...But Much Much Better

Grain Bill
----------------
10.000 lb Weyermann Bohemian Pilsen (100%)

Hop Bill
----------------
1.00 oz Perle Pellet (6.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------
0.50 oz Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.00 oz Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 149°-150°F for 75 Minutes.

My friend, a BMC regular, at my house preferred this to a bud light in a blind taste test.

Really, a very light yet flavorful brew with the tiniest citrus tang.

Couldn't be any easier than this one. Found this in the recipe list here on HBT and it is good. I used 2124 Bohemian yeast slurry.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 2112 Cali Lager
Yeast Starter: 2 L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 33.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 3.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 Weeks @ 58
Additional Fermentation: Lagered in the Keg for 1.5 months
Tasting Notes: Like Bud Light...But Much Much Better

Grain Bill
----------------
10.000 lb Weyermann Bohemian Pilsen (100%)

Hop Bill
----------------
1.00 oz Perle Pellet (6.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------
0.50 oz Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.00 oz Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 149°-150°F for 75 Minutes.

My friend, a BMC regular, at my house preferred this to a bud light in a blind taste test.

Really, a very light yet flavorful brew with the tiniest citrus tang.

Couldn't be any easier than this one. Found this in the recipe list here on HBT and it is good. I used 2124 Bohemian yeast slurry.

OP said he has high carbonate water. This recipe is a no-go unless he wants to get a bunch of distilled water to cut it with it.

Pro brewer friend of mine uses w34/70 at least for some of his lagers. I'd have to confirm what he uses in his maibock, but he just won bronze for it at the GABF. Don't feel like you're comprising using dry yeast.

I would like to thank everyone for the good feedback. I think i will do a marzen for the first lager. I like the idea of a clean malty beer. I will be on the lookout for a good malty looking recipe. I also like the idea of the dry yeast that has been brought up here a couple of times. I am a little intimidated by growing a starter. I am used to just pitching my smackpack or vial and getting a great ale. I have been doing some research and have stumbled across a dry yeast by a company called Fermentis. The yeast strain is called saflager 34/70. Would this be a good yeast for a marzen? They recommend a fermentation temp around 55 degrees, which seemed a little high for a lager based on my reading. Does anyone have any experiences that they would share with this yeast?

There can be a great variation among the categories, particular with the changes to the 2015 Style Guidelines, but I think with a view towards lagers/pilsners, something can taste great (which is always enjoyable) but there is something to be said to achieving something that tastes great according to the targeted style. Gregory Noonan's book, New Brewing Lager Beer, is a great reference in a homebrewing/craft brewing world that is largely ale-centric. That said, there are some great tips on this forum, as well, particularly with recipes. I started out with decoction mashing for my first lagers and pils...takes a lot of time in regard to a single step infusion. In short, probably not worth the extra time and effort with today's well modified malts. I occasionally still use decoction for a few recipes out of sentiment for the style. A few things that have improved my lagers/pils over the years have been starting out with distilled water and building up the water profile for the lighter styles, going lower on the fermentation temperatures than when I first started out (I now use the bottom of the recommended temperature range whereas I had started at the top of the range), extra time in the primary (diacetyl is more easily detected in light pilsners), and longer lagering times. I have never been a fan of trying to brew and drink any style beer within 4 weeks like many recipes claim...definitely a no-go with lagers and pilsners. I like to keep at least two lagers/pilsners on tap in my kegerator and that means planning out the batches at regular intervals so I am not rushing them.

I would like to thank everyone for the good feedback. I think i will do a marzen for the first lager. I like the idea of a clean malty beer. I will be on the lookout for a good malty looking recipe. I also like the idea of the dry yeast that has been brought up here a couple of times. I am a little intimidated by growing a starter. I am used to just pitching my smackpack or vial and getting a great ale. I have been doing some research and have stumbled across a dry yeast by a company called Fermentis. The yeast strain is called saflager 34/70. Would this be a good yeast for a marzen? They recommend a fermentation temp around 55 degrees, which seemed a little high for a lager based on my reading. Does anyone have any experiences that they would share with this yeast?

I posted my Marzen recipe earlier in the thread. I'm a huge fan of it. I don't know your system or effiency so it's up to you to put numbers to it. If your carbonates really as high you may need to add some additional acid to counteract. Aim for a mash pH of about 5.35.

As mentioned earlier, there aren't many choices for dry yeast. W34/70 is probably the most common. 50-55F should give you a clean lager..

Thanks. I am struck by how similar the Marzen and the Vienna Lager are. They must be cousins. I usually think Mexican beer when i think of vienna lager, but the marzen i tried tasted nothing like a Mexican beer... I will hopefully start on this beer early next monh. Sadly it looks like my local brew store doesnt have that dry yeast. I may have to order it , or go with a different variety.

Thanks. I am struck by how similar the Marzen and the Vienna Lager are. They must be cousins. I usually think Mexican beer when i think of vienna lager, but the marzen i tried tasted nothing like a Mexican beer... I will hopefully start on this beer early next monh. Sadly it looks like my local brew store doesnt have that dry yeast. I may have to order it , or go with a different variety.

Yep Marzen and Vienna are very similar. In fact it's pretty easy to make the other style if your recipe isn't dialed in yet. Either way your results will be good.

In general, Marzen is a little higher OG and is more malt focused. Vienna is a little less in strength has better malt/hops balance. My personal preference is for a vienna to be lighter in color than Marzen. But the style guidelines are very broad for both.

Mexican beers use a lot of corn grits so the body is really cut thin. Definitely not a character you find in modern European beers.

34/70 is the weihenstephan lager yeast. It gives a very clean, slightly malt focussed lager. I have noticed some diacetyl with it, so I always raise to about 65F for a week or so when fermentation is about 2/3 done. It does need to ferment a little bit warmer than most lager yeasts - I find it works well at about 54F but is very slow at colder temperatures (in comparison I use WY2042/Danish lager at 48F). Overall, it is clean, reliable and drops very clear.

Back