First Kombucha Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHYG

Reaction score
Going to give this a try. See how it goes. I already made my first mistake. I allowed the loose black tea to steep for 20mins instead of 5-8mins. The taste seems ok to me. So I wondering if I should continue or start over.

Going to give this a try. See how it goes. I already made my first mistake. I allowed the loose black tea to steep for 20mins instead of 5-8mins. The taste seems ok to me. So I wondering if I should continue or start over.
I normally steep my tea for 25 min. I use a black and green tea blend.

What I have been doing is putting 2-3 of the family size teabags in the filter of my drip coffee pot (I just use it for making tea), and letting it go through the normal drip process. Once it is finished, I add the sugar to the brewed tea, stir, and then just let the sweet tea sit until it has cooled to room temperature.
This is my first step when taking kombucha out of the continuous brew jar to do the second ferment. That way, the fresh tea has plenty of time to sit and cool while I am in the process of taking out the half gallon of fermented kombucha, flavoring it and putting it in the bottles for the second ferment.
My coffee maker makes a 12 cup pot, so it is about the perfect amount to refill the kombucha brewing jar.

First batch turned out pretty decent. PH was a little higher than what I was targeting (3.7) I ended up kegging it and carbed it in 2 days. All in all, I thought it was a good first batch.

I will work on getting the PH lower for the next batch.

Great! I don’t make much kombucha anymore so someone correct me if I’m wrong but, all things being equal, you’re ph drop is a function of time. The longer you let your primary fermentation go, the lower your ph will go.

I used to make a lot of kombucha and kegged it. However, after a while, my family stopped drinking it, so I stopped. However, when I was making it on a regular basis, I made it with sun tea. I just put tea bags or tea balls in 1 gallon jars with filtered water, set them out in the sun all day and, voila, sun tea. I then removed the tea bags/balls, added the sugar, added the starter and scoby and let it go to work. I never had a problem. I used both black tea, green tea and a 50/50 combination to mix up the tea flavors.

Back