First Kit Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
Aloha Everyone,

I am doing my first ever brew on sat, It is a Brewers Best kit (American Ale) and i would like anyone to weigh in with any tips / techniques for the first brew.

I have a keggle & burner setup for outdoor cooking. Filtered water (carbon) and Imersion chiller i built this week.

Pretty awesome set up for having never brewed. I started with the Brewer's Best Pale Ale kit myself and ended up with a very respectable beer.

If I can give you one tip, it's to write down your plan on what you are going to do in detail and take notes as you go. It's really helpful to try and walk through it in your mind and helps to spot anything that's missing and anticipate problems. My first brew I didn't do this and ended up making a funnel from a water jug that didn't fit and ended up with sticky wort all over the wood floor (I know now I could have racked to the primary but that's what happens when you aren't prepared, and don't have an autosiphon). This is also really helpful if you want to recreate something. Also, if you have a problem, it's much easier to get some help because you documented the process.

And in the end, have fun and know that even if things aren't perfect, you are most likely fine, especially with HBT at your disposal. I'll never forget the first time I brewed in my apartment and smelled those delicious smells for the first time and couldn't stop checking the airlock for weeks. It's a very fond memory of mine and I hope your first brew day is even better than mine. Keep us posted.

definately write EVERYTHING down. i took a page of notes on my first batch as to what i was smelling and SG readings etc. i would plan it out the day before and check again the day of so you know you have everything clean/sanitized/ready for brew day. i am on my second batch ever and they were 3 weeks apart. I NEED MORE BOTTLES good luck and keep us posted

Some tips I wish I had down before my 1st batch:

-Add some Whirlfloc or Irish moss during the last 15 minutes of the boil.
-After your 60 minute boil is up, drop that temperature down as quickly as possible to pitching temps. Try to minimize any oxygen getting into the wort, especially above 80F.
-Shoot for a pitching temp on the low side of the yeast, and do your best to maintain it over at least the first week or so of primary (This one is #1 in my book)
-Don't forget to take an OG reading before pitching yeast and sealing it up, but do so at pitching temps (hot wort will read differently).
-Don't forget to aerate your wort when you pitch, 2-3 minutes of shaking sealed primary should do the trick. Cover the airlock hole with a clean finger.
-Do your very best to have patience with this and all future batches (2+weeks in primary, 3-4+ weeks after bottling)

Definitely enjoy some beer during the process, but don't get carried away. You need to be thinking clearly for the first few brewing sessions. Have a great time.

what is the best method to start the yeast? i have herd that if i make a starter it will be more successful. since i don't have a lot of equipment yet whats the best method to start the packet of yeast that came with the kit?

Also I might add quite possibly the most important thing you can do while whipping up a batch of the delicious substance that we call beer. That is the golden rule. Relax and have a home brew! Cheers!!!

i have to make some home brew before i can enjoy a home brew! ill be sure to have something hoppy and delicious on hand.

I usually go to the store and get some utterly delicious six pack. When I have no home brew left. Basically it's all about relaxing and having fun it should be in no way stressful. Have an amazing first brewing experience and let us know how it turns out.

How should I go about starting the yeast? I want to make sure it's vigorous before hand. All of the methods I have herd use wort which I don't have on hand.

First of all, I might suggest John Palmers how to brew book. The 3rd ed (?) is on sale now, but you can read the 1st ed online for free. He details how to hydrate dry yeast packets. You might not want to "proof" the yeast with table sugar though as it could use up some of the reserves intended for converting your wort. Palmers good, but some of the 1st edition stuff is the old way of doing things. The updated version is very good.

Question, is this a no-name dry yeast packet that came with the kit? If so check the age. If buying new yeast Danstar, Safale, and Brewferm are some of the better brands. Try to get one that mates well with your style if you are switching to a new yeast packet.

Yeast starters are a good way to use liquid yeast and can give the best results. Many specialized yeast types are only available in liquid form. You essentially brew up a small batch of wort, add your liquid yeast, and wait a day or two to multiply and strengthen the yeast before adding to your batch. Great way to improve your brew results, but probably overkill for batch number 1. I would just hydrate 1-2 packets of dry yeast for what you are trying to do.

Back