first kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihuntbear

Reaction score
Hi All
Looking for advise...been making a nice boxed wheat beer for bottles...has really nice flavour...this last time I wanted to keg it instead of bottling...out of the carboy into the keg,then into the beer fridge set at 33 degrees with 30 lbs of co2 for 48 hrs....after 48 hrs i poured first glass,really nice 1/2 inch head and carbonation..and really good...my problem is after two or three glasses i feel really blouted and feel like crap for a couple days until the bloating goes away...dont feel that way in bottles,,,what did i do wrong????maybe to much co2?????...I talked to a lot of keggers before doing this and they said 30 lbs for 48 hours would be great...I have a really good irish brown ale in the carboy ready for the keg but dont know what to do....any info would be great:mug::mug:

I do 30psi for 36hrs, then turn it down to 10-14psi. Its drinkable at that point but it's better when its sat for a few days. Check the carbonation charts for your temp & style, that'll help a lot.

I agree with Anthony. 30 psi for 48 hours and the head you are describing may be the culprit. Even though you keg a beer it will still need some time to get to the place you want. It has to stabilize the co2 in the keg as well as mature a bit. give it a week at the lower psi level and then check back in.

oh i forgot to say its been in the keg with 12 lbs on it for two weeks and forgot to say i used superclear in the second carboy to clear it..somebody asked me where the dip tube is in the keg,i said at the bottom in the middle where they all are,he said maybe i should cut some of that off so i don't pickup some of the sediment off the bottom.he said yeast is hard on some stomachs especially wheat beer..do u cut the drop tube on your kegs or should i leave it alone and let it sit some more

I probably wouldn't have cleared a wheat beer, there's typically a lot of suspended yeast in them. I also wouldn't cut my dip tube, though I'm sure some have. Usually after the first glass or two, the beer winds up being clearer (from sucking up sediment on the initial pours).

If it's been at 12psi for two weeks I'd try some tonight, betcha its good.

The bloating thing sounds to me more like a random issue with your digestive system rather than the beer. You can drink soda, right? That's got like at least twice the carbonation of beer i think...

oh the beer is really good but after the third glass i'm to bloated to have another..i can drink it from a bottle with no issues,thats why we thought of the drop tube or over carb..I dont think its over carbed because I can pour a glass out of the bottle and a glass out of the keg put them side by side and they look and taste the same.same amount of head but the one out of the keg is a little more cloudy..thats why we thought some of the sediment was being picked up off the bottom

I find wheat beers to be heavy on the stomach, but if you can drink them out of the bottle without incident then it's not the style itself. I agree with the above poster that carbonation isn't likely the issue either. I would chalk it up to a stomach bug.

Back