First keg problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPORT546

Reaction score
So I went downstairs to pull a beer of the first keg ever nothing. The tank is empty and no pressure in the keg. I assume the leak is in the keg because I pulled a glass off after a little less than a week and now there is not left over pressure in the keg. I don't know what to do with the beer. Any suggestions I can't bet more gas tonight. Should I leave it alone in the keg with the hopefully still existent co2 blanket and get gas and switch kegs tomorrow?

Try purging a lil air from the keg. Then you will know if it is the keg or regulator that is leaking first.

Don't purge it all. Your just looking to see if there's any co2 in there.

No, not ruined at all. Let it sit until you can buy more gas. Make sure the valve on your CO2 bottle isn't closed -- I missed that one a time or two when I was new. Once you've got a bottle of CO2, you've got to check your system for leaks. Make sure you get a good "seat" with the lid on the keg. Hit the keg with 15 psi and disconnect the gas. Listen the the keg and CO2 regulator. Do you hear gas hissing anywhere? Mix up some soapy water or starsan and spray down all your connection points and look for bubbles -- ie signs of leaks.

No the valve is open it was working when I pulled a beer last week and when I ran some cleaner through the lines. This couldn't have happened on a more difficult week for me to go get more gas.

Your beer will be fine. I've had kegs sit for weeks while my lazy @ss put off refilling my bottle. Beer was even better AFTER sitting flat for 2 weeks (and being subsequently recarbed). Don't sweat it buddy. Just focus on sourcing that leak when you get the bottle filled.

+1 that a couple days isnt going to ruin your beer. You will be fine. I had a hell of a time when I first got my setup as there were 2 small leaks in my system. One was just something that was not tightened enough and the second problem I had was a post that was leaking. Depending on your setup there are a few ways to test it out. I ended up putting my manifold in a bucket of water. DO NOT put your regulators in the water!! If you dont find a leak at your manifold then I would put the keg in question at a certain pressure and leave it over night. Come back and see if it is at the same pressure. If not you have a problem with the keg holding pressure.

Hope this helps. I have more suggestions if none of this works but this should get you on your way :mug:

Did you seal your corny lid by hitting it with 30+ PSI when you first put it on the gas (after purging the O2)? I made the mistake of not doing this with my first keg, and wasted a whole 5 lbs of CO2 as well.

You can get an ever-so-slight air leak in the top seal if you don't seal it with high pressure. This type of leak is VERY easy to miss with a spray check as well.

Today I kegged some Ed Wort's HPA, and heard an ever so slight hissing ...re-seated the lid, then discovered that the gas connector was not seated properly..

I have had beer in un-refrigerated kegs for weeks -- think of it like a secondary...

I have tried all these suggestions and I'm starting to think its the keg thats the issue. Will replacement parts take care of this possibly?

Back