First Keg Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daspooper

relaxing, not worrying, and having a homebrew
Reaction score
There's a first for everyone, right?

I've been sitting on a keg in my lagering fridge for a few months now, and I decided that I wanted to move it to a new keg; the idea was that when I wanted to move the keg up to my kegerator I wouldn't have any yeast cake on the bottom to disturb.

The first half of the transfer went super smooth; the beer was already carbed, so I attached a liquid to liquid line to move the beer into the new keg. Beer started flowing and all was good. Eventually the beer stopped flowing, so I relieved some pressure from the new keg by adding an open gas quick disconnect to the gas post; beer flowed and all was good.

Then at about half of the beer transferred I heard a sort of hollow pop, a lot like what it sounds like when you open the keg lid, and the beer stopped flowing. I tried adding CO2, but it just escaped the keg. After a bit of inspection I found that the static safety relief valve, I use pin lock kegs, had failed. It seems like the decreasing pressure caused the valve to break? I'm not sure.

So, with a half keg of beer to move, I needed to figure out how to finish moving the beer. I put the good lid from the new keg onto the old one so I could establish a bit of pressure. I put the broken lid on the new keg just to prevent stuff from falling in the hold, and connected the liquid to liquid line again.

That went well until the new keg was about full; then foam started to slowly seep out of the broken lid. I wasn't too concerned, and I put a towel under the new keg to prevent any little spills. Unfortunately I didn't realize what was about to happen. I'm not sure of the cause (though I think it was the beer in the new keg releasing CO2 as the new keg was warm), but the new keg started a beer foam fountain through the broken lid. I quickly disconnected the old keg from the CO2 which didn't slow the flow, then the liquid to liquid lines, which again didn't slow the flow, and then I removed the broken lid to replace it with the working one.

A bit of mopping later, and I'm in the market for a new lid. Woo beer making! It is always an adventure. On the bright side, my hands and clothes smell lovely right now.

The kegs were from Keg Connection; they were B-grade, and they have worked great up until now. I got them on a great deal, and I am not disappointed. It is a little annoying that one of them broke, but I knew they were not new quality when I bought them.

@jschein

Which washers are you referring to? I replaced the 5 o-rings (one on the lid and the pair on each post) when the keg arrived, but I am unaware of the location of the washer that you're referring to.

I'm pretty new to kegging; I hadn't realized that pin lock keg pressure release valves could be replaced as they are referred to as static. I thought this meant that they can't be moved, but it seems like this means that they can only be activated to relieve pressure in an emergency (or in my case if something funny happens.)

It seems like if I could find replacement valves, I'd be set to replace it, but I'm finding that I can't locate this replacement part easily. AiH has the part listed, but it's out of stock. Any other site that I'm looking at doesn't even have a listing for this part. I guess I am in the market for a new lid, or I could drill out the pressure relief valve hole and replace it with a dome style pressure release valve. It looks like that is only a few dollars cheaper than a new lid, though.

Does anyone know if any retailer sells static release valves still? Even if I modify or replace the currently broken one, I want to avoid this problem with my other kegs.

Back