First Ipa with Pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akavango

Reaction score
I finished my first IPA with pellets, Now about a 3 hours later I can see a large layer of sediments in the bottom of the bucket.

I had read that it was fine to dump the content of the kettle in the fermentation bucket which i did. I did removed some of the sludge before dumping.
It is going to go down? What would be the best way to deal with that layer of sediments?

photo.jpg

after a few weeks it'll all compact down, so no worries there. just ride it out! :) once it's all done it'll prolly be 1/2 that height. you're good to go!

You're good. I never filter out the hops and have ended up with award winning beers. The hop trub and yeast sediment will compact and when you transfer, will all be left behind.

You should be fine. I had the same issue when I dumped everything from the kettle into the fermenter - mine compacted down to about half of what it was in just over a week. If it's still an issue after a couple of weeks try cold crashing it which I've done also with great success.

I use carboys and that happens every brew. I doubt the sediment is as thick as it looks. With the carboys it 'sticks' to the glass and it is sort of a 'bowl' of gunk. Like the others have stated. It'll pack down just fine.

I finished my first IPA with pellets, Now about a 3 hours later I can see a large layer of sediments in the bottom of the bucket.

I had read that it was fine to dump the content of the kettle in the fermentation bucket which i did. ?

I wish I'd read that earlier. My first pellet brew clogged up my spaghetti strainer 8 or so times during the transfer to primary.

Back