first ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj2387

Reaction score
hey guys. might be completley out of left field here but was messing around with beersmith and trying to create recipe. over all a pretty new brewer.

just wondered your thoughts on this BIAB brew

2.5 gallon batch

5.5LB 2 row
1Lb crystal 40

hops
.5oz simcoe (60)
and .25 cascade each at 40/30/20/10 minutes
us-05 yeast

the levels seem pretty even in beer smith. just wondering if you guys who are a little more familiar with hops could maybe give me an idea of what this might taste like.

Hello fellow BIAB brewer!

I think you should lower the crystal malt to .5 lbs so it's not so cloyingly sweet (15% to 7%) and replace the 40/30/20min addition to 10/5/0 min hop addition if you really like hop aroma and flavor!If you have more simcoe around try to put some in the 5min addition simcoe is a great aroma hop!! Almost a waste to place it in 60min.

Yeast is good abv is good looks like its gonna a good brew :mug:

what Samuel said.
if it were me id drop it the crystal totally or use .25oz
also with the hops, if u dont have more Simcoe, sub .25oz of the 60 min addition with cascade and use it in the 5 min addition.
you'll also want to dry hop it with .5-1oz

Yeah, I'd up the overall quantity of hops and move them to later in the boil. Consider adding an ounce or more after you turn off the flame, and letting them steep for 30 minutes before you start cooking -- really get a huge burst of flavor that way.

i have a 1oz each of cascade and simcoe so ill definitley add more simcoe at the end. Do i need to dry hop? and if so do you recommend one or the other. or maybe a combo of both hops. and how much?

Im relatively new to IPA brewing as well, but i did stick with the 15-5-0 schedule.

Im stocked with a fee different hops but before playing around with all of them, i figured i'd learn what each of them do. Simcoe smells amazing, but if you're to dry hop with both and add both during 15-5-0, it'll be hard for you (and me as a noob) to really figure out which aroma-flavor belongs to which hops.

What I did was brew one 2 gallon batch with cascade, then brew another up with Citra. My next batch is going to be Simcoe. After these, and once i get a reference tast-smell from each, ill start mixing and matching to my hearts content. I hate waiting for them to be ready, but i think that's the best way for me to learn what best tickles my fancy.

I'd drop the crystal to 0.25 lbs, up the hops, and move them closer to the end of the boil.

1.5 ozs of hops in 2.5 gallons is not much for an IPA. Next weekend I'll be using 8 ozs of Simcoe late in the boil or dry hop (2 @ 15, 2@ 8, 2@ 0, and 2 dry) in a 5 gallon Session IPA, and some will say even that is low.

Latest posts

Back