First IPA recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VV_Wildcatfan

Reaction score
Noob Brewer here looking to brew first IPA and first beer wholly from scratch ( at least as far as I know) and I'd like some feedback on the recipe. I'm looking for a citrusy IPA without a ton of bitterness and a little unique. My thoughts coming into this are:
1. Must be extract with specialty grains optional
2. I like citra
3. Needs to be fairly simple as only 4th ever brew
4. I'm not married to anything except the citra dry hop and trying a few other hops to go with it so any and all advice is appreciated.

. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457410831.130795.jpg

Around here, Nelson is an expensive hops. Why would you bitter with it? Usually Magnum is much cheaper and is just as good. I would use a more cost effective bittering hop and add it as a FWH. My most recent IPA I only did FWH, 15 min, and flameout/whirlpool additions. I haven't kegged it yet but took my gravity reading and (pre-dry hop) it smells amazing. I would suggest moving the 30 minute to the end. I don't know enough about extract to comment on the grainbill.

I would always advocate only using as much hops as you need for your tastes, but if this is four 5 gallons I'd probably double the hops and focus on late additions. You'll find limited value from a 30 minute addition in terms of IBU, flavor, and aroma, and I wouldn't waste something as expensive and full of flavor/aroma potential as Nelson Sauvin on a bittering addition. So I would add more hops, pile them in at 15 min. (at the very earliest) and later, with special focus on a good flameout/whirlpool addition. Other than that, it's a great hop combo and should be quite delicious.

As above, add hops later. You could do a bittering addition of some cheap hop and add the bulk of hops at hop stand and then dry hop. You could also simplify the grist so something like 7.5lb light DME and 1lb wheat DME. You could even go all light DME and some dextrose. You don't really need two types of light DME, wheat DME, crystal and dextrose.

I personally would go all light DME, do a 30 minute boil, add about 30IBU of hops at 15m and then bump it full of 'em at hop stand. Nice, easy, fast brew day.

Back