First IPA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcurling

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I haven't made an IPA yet, and after tasting Badger First Gold I decided I really want to experiment with first gold hops, so I invented the recipe below. I went for partial-mash on this one to save a bit of time and because my mash tun was reaching it's limits last time I made a big beer! I plan on brewing it this evening, so if anyone can think of any improvements I would be grateful (excuse the metric!)...

21 litre IIPA

Pale extract 4.5kg
Maris Otter 260g
Amber malt 260g

Challenger - 67g 60min
First Gold - 50g 30min
First Gold - 50g 10min
First Gold - 40g Dry hopped for 2 weeks after 1 week in primary

Yeast US-05 (3 week primary then straight to bottle)
OG 73
FG 15
ABV 7.6%
IBUs 100

Oops just realised I didn't add any hops at flame out, what would be the best way to distribute my pack of first gold? Perhaps like this?

Challengers 67g 60mins
First Gold 30g 30mins
First Gold 30g 10mins
First Gold 40g 0mins
First Gold 40g Dry hop

(= 83 IBUs)

I'm not good with the metric system, but it looks like a good call on the malt and your choice of hops. Do you dry hop in the primary? If so, there's some good threads on here about when to throw them in. The overwhelming consensus seems to favor putting the hops in when the fermentation starts to slow and the krausen falls, I think.

I was thinking about doing an English-style IPA for my next batch, but I'm not a big fan of secondaries, so I'll probably just dry hop in the primary, let me know how it goes for you.

Let us know how it turns out, sounds like a great beer.

Your malts favor partial mash rather than steeping grains. They won't convert if just steeped. I've heard of some good IPA that have little or nor crystal malt, but I cant recall drinking one.

looks good mate.

I brew mostly West Coast IPA's but think its about time to do an English-style IIPA...let us now how it ends up.

Thanks, glad you didn't spot any glaring mistakes now that it's in the fermenter!

I missed the OG because I overlooked the fact that using extract doesn't automatically mean 100% efficiency (and having not used extract before I managed to waste a load stuck to the bottom of the boiler!), came out at 61, so should get a decent 6.4ish% out of it. I haven't used anything like this amount of hops before and the wort smelt/tasted amazing, so I've got a good feeling about it. I haven't dry hopped before, but I picked up a hop bag so I'm going to do what you suggest and drop them in the primary after around a week and leave it for another 2 weeks before bottling.

I'll let you know the result after Christmas!

Thanks, glad you didn't spot any glaring mistakes now that it's in the fermenter!

I missed the OG because I overlooked the fact that using extract doesn't automatically mean 100% efficiency (and having not used extract before I managed to waste a load stuck to the bottom of the boiler!), came out at 61, so should get a decent 6.4ish% out of it. I haven't used anything like this amount of hops before and the wort smelt/tasted amazing, so I've got a good feeling about it. I haven't dry hopped before, but I picked up a hop bag so I'm going to do what you suggest and drop them in the primary after around a week and leave it for another 2 weeks before bottling.

I'll let you know the result after Christmas!

If an efficiency was off, it can't come from the extract. It's like using sugar, it's a known added amount of points. No need for a bag when dry hopping unless it's whole hops, and even then you don't really need it. Recipe looks good though, good luck

Efficiency would be lower if you're steeping base malts above/below conversion temps (142-161 appx)

Also if you take a sample while some of the extract isn't 100% homogeneously mixed

I meant total efficiency - which will definitely miss the mark with an IPA because a load of sugary wort is left soaked in the hops (plus I didn't get every last drop out the tin and a couple of lumps got stuck in a ball of hops and didn't dissolve!).

Undecided about the hop bag - I'm using vacuum packed hops, do these settle out well given I'm going straight from primary to bottling bucket?

Back