first infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpl-america

Reaction score
Just made mystic's Irish red for the second time. It looks beautiful. However unlike last time, it tastes like sour apples. As I have never had an infection, is it drinkable?

well that depends on whether or not you like sour apples,

I will say seriously, that sometimes green beer can taste strange, let it ride, it may be great after conditioning. Is it in primary, secondary, bottled? and for how long?

When I looked at the raft in the fermenter, I was like, that's out of the ordinary. And when I siphoned to the keg, it tasted sour, but I wanted to carbonate anyway. So it has sat in the keg about eight days now, and it definitely doesn't have the great taste I remember. And a big pucker factor. But my pipeline is strong so I am not in a hurry to empty the keg if it is salvageable.

Here's two things I can think of.
1. For some reason this beer hasn't matured yet and you are tasting acetaldehyde, an intermediate product of the fermentation that the yeast produce early on and then reprocess into alcohol. Acetaldehyde is described as tasting of green apples or cider. If this is what you have, set the keg where it is warm for a few days so the yeast will be active enough to reprocess this. Acetaldehyde flavors should improve with age. They won't hurt anything but your pride.

2. Acetobacteria may have infected your beer. Acetobacter is the bacteria that produces vinegar from alcoholic beverages. If this is what you have it will get worse with time. It still won't hurt anything but your pride.

Back