First infected batch...????? Anything I can do to make it worth drinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a chocolate PB milk stout that we just kegged. For the PB flavor, we always use real, natural PB that has been de-oiled and we use that in a secondary fermenter. Prior to adding the PB, the stout tasted great! Finished at 1.023 and had a nice, slight nutty character to it from the PB2 used in the boil.

From past experience, we've found that our ideal time frame looks like this...
- De oil PB for 10-12 days
- Let beer sit on PB for 4 weeks

The only thing that varied this time was length of the de oiling process. That went for 20 days which is where I think we went wrong. We also used cocoa nibs this time. Previously it was cocoa powder in the boil which didn't come through very well previously, so we went to nibs.

Fast forward to Saturday night, I did not pull a sample of the beer prior to kegging. I've always had good luck with this method and I assumed everything went right. I kegged it and started burst carbonating it over night. Pulled a sample in the morning and it smelled fantastic. Nice, rich PB smell.

Took a taste and almost fell over. It has a taste that I'm going to describe as a sharp tart flavor that wasn't there pre-PB. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was like a fruit flavor, like raspberry. I'm thinking that something from the PB got in and turned it ever so slightly sour...?

The only other thing I can think of is something with the oil in the PB went rancid? I would think that would cause more of an off putting, unpleasant taste though as opposed to the sharp tartness I'm getting now.

I know that some people here have done things to save a beer and make it enjoyable at least to the point where they aren't dumping a full keg. Anyone got any ideas of something I could do to this in order to make it drinkable?

After going back and reading this, I'm now wondering about adding a small amount of fruit extract. Could be like a PB& Jelly milk stout...? Not sure though.

Back