First Imperial IPA recipe: advice and comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, I have read in some spots that since this strain is a high attenuator I should mash at a higher temperature. My original target was for around 150 with the WLP001, but I was told to go higher, maybe 155+ with the WLP007. Any thoughts on this?

007 isn't any higher an attenuator than 001. IME, its less. I wouldnt mash that high unless you want an fg > 1.02. its not necessarily a bad thing, its what Lagunitas does, but IMO mashing high on a IIPA is gunna make it closer to a barleywine.

Funny you should reply, dcp27. I was just reading an old post of yours about Larry IPA. One of my faves as well. They have it on tap down the street from me, which is rare for my area (not too far from you, but not a lot of bars in walking distance).

I figured the mash temp was more important than perceived attenuation of the yeast. I'll stick with 150 for the mash then. Thanks!

ya thankfully im on the somerville line so I got a few good bars I can walk to when its nice out, or drunk enough not to care.

they kinda go hand in hand. you can have the highest attenuating yeast possible, but if you mash @160, it'll only have so much fermentables it could consume. In general its best to mash a lil lower on bigger beers as the yeast struggles a bit more to get full attenuation.
How to brew a big beer

Just an update for anyone interested. Here's the final recipe I used:

18# 2 Row
1# Munich
.5# Wheat
.5# Crystal 60
1.75 oz Chinook 60m
1.0 oz Simcoe 15m
1.0 Amarillo 5m
1.0 Citra post boil
WLP007

(It's currently fermenting quite rapidly and happily somewhere around 70 degrees. OG was 1.079. I plan to dry hop in the secondary for 1 week with 2oz Citra, and 2oz Amarillo.)

This is also the first batch where I paid close attention to water chemistry using the Bru'n Water spreadsheet. The finished water profile was:

Calcium: 55.4
Magnesium: 13.8
Sodium: 39.0
Sulfate: 146.4
Chloride: 49.4
Bicarbonate: 58.1
RA: 0
Mash pH: 5.3 (Measured with pH meter)
Mash Temp: 150.4F
Sparge Water pH: 5.7 (Measured with pH meter)

This should turn out pretty well. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Back