First homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ness22

Reaction score
I will be brewing a Bavarian Hefeweizen extract this weekend. Just concerned because my yeast says to ferment at 55 to 66 degrees and I have no way of getting and keeping it below roughly 68-70. Is this going to be a problem?

Meh, hefe yeast (depending on the strain) can create some tasty esters at higher temperatures. What yeast is it?

If you want to get the temperature down, make a swamp cooler. Get a big rubbermaid tub or something that can hold your fermentor and a decent amount of water. Put your fermenter in the tub with some cold water, put a t-shirt on the fermenter, and point a fan at it. The shirt will act as a wick, continually drawing water up. To get the temperature down further you can add frozen water bottles until it's the temperature you want it.

For further information, use the search function in the upper right corner to look for "swamp cooler."

I hope that helps. Good luck! :mug:

It is Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast, I bought it through Norther Brewer. Thanks!

Why not make something else until you can do it right? If the room temps are 68 to 70 then the fermenter will be more like 75+.

badbrew said:
Why not make something else until you can do it right? If the room temps are 68 to 70 then the fermenter will be more like 75+.

Well I mean the room temp will be about 60-63 so I was told about 8 to 10 degrees warmer fermentation temp. I will do a swamp cooler if I need to but really don't want to purchase another kit if I don't have to right now. Just don't want my first brew to be a disaster haha Thanks!

If you have a Target/Walmart/etc. close, you can pick up a plastic tub big enough to hold your fermenter for $8 to $15. Mine was labeled as a tub and it was in a section of Target where they had boxes and the tub for holding children's toys. Then all you need is a cheapy fan and a t-shirt to complete your cooler.
I just found a link on Target:
http://www.target.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/p/Rope-Tub-Violet-18-gal/-/A-11271940
This is what I used until I could afford a small chest freezer and temp controller.
Hope this helps!

I place my carboy in a cooler filled with water and use water bottles from my freezer to regulate fermentation temperature. At peak fermentation, it usually takes two bottles swapped twice/day for 65 degrees in my 76 degree house. By day three, I swap once per day. I can usually keep a 3-4 degree temperature range.

Even a bathtub full of cold water will do the trick, if you have one to spare for a few days. I advise dropping the $10 on a small tub now. I have tasted beer that has been fermented too hot, and beer that has been fermented at the right temperature, and the difference is well worth spending an extra few bucks. We are talking about the difference between something you drink because, well, you made it, and it shouldn't go to waste, and something you want to share with your friends because you can't believe it came out this well.

Back