First Homebrew tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donutz

Reaction score
popped the top on my first home brewed beer today. It was a Mutton's Kit IPA with added hops and extract. It isn't too bad at all (for my first time with mistakes and all)!! I'm thrilled! I was told her heard somewhere that the longer it sits the better it will be. Is this true? This bottle I'm having has conditioned for about 2 weeks 8 hours. I am having a second beer now... and I might have a third... but then I have some set aside for next Sunday then the week after that and the week after that. Is this true that they will age better in the coming weeks? According to my brother, even that is way too soon. He said you need to let it sit for at least 2 months MINIMUM.... Thoughts

While that can be true for most beers, beers that are characterized by hop flavor and aroma such as an IPA are best consumed sooner rather than later. The hop flavor and aroma will mellow out over time. If you were to leave a bottle for 2-3 months I think you'd be able to notice a distinct difference. For an IPA what can help is leaving it in primary for the full 3-4 weeks and then maybe secondary with dry hopping to make up for the month of primary. That helps the yeast clean up after fermentation.

Latest posts

Back