First Hefeweizen Questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So I just brewed my first Pure Hefeweizen, All grain. I am calling it tornado watch ale, because I brewed it during tornado watches/warnings.

But my question is, I am looking at the fermenter and there is a much larger troub/yeast cake then with any of my other beers. Is that normal for a hefe?

Grain:
5.5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Belgian
3.38 lbs Wheat Malt, Belgian

Yeast: WLP300

Here is a picture. It is at the 1.5 gallon marker, which is a gallon more than most trub/yeast cake I get normally
20120606_084621.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it. Looks normal to me -- especially if you just dumped the wort into the carboy and didn't do anything to try and filter or exclude any hot/cold break and hop material.

I used the WLP300 in mine and had a pretty descent cake too. I wouldn't worry too much. How many days into fermentation are you? I bottled after 13 days and conditioned for 10. Was very happy with it. Cheers and good luck!

Did a heff with 300 recently. hell of a head on it. I had to stir it and let it drop for a few days before bottling. Someone on here posted that they rack from below it, but I found that stirring it worked fine.

The wheat has a lot of proteins in it that contribute to the trub. Did you screen your wort into the fermenter or just pour it all in?

It has been there for 3 days. The one on the left is the pour from the bottom of the pot, tee one on the right from the top

Back