first grain, 3 crop cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod734

Reaction score
I couldn't wait any longer after I read the thread about mashing in a bag indores. I took a gallon fo my morris otter and crushes it in my barley mill and mashed it in a bag in an 8 pack cooler in 2 aprox gallon of 160 degre F water came in at 151. I mashed for 1 hr. I sparged it in the kettle at 170 for about 15 min. endes up with about 3 gal of wart. Started my boil, added a half oz cluster hops, at 30 min added half oz willamette hops, at 1 hr added another half oz willamette hops, and Irish and boiled 15 more min. about 2 min from taking off the heat I added an eaght tsp. yeast neut. I ended up with 2 gal wart OG 1.070 very bitter. I cooled and put in the primary and pitched a yeast starter from a IPA ale I keged a couple days ago. I planned on 2 part boil and I'm using stuff I have on hand. Second part, I crushed another quart of morris otter, added a pound of min. rice mash and sparge as before which is still in progress. I'm only going to do about a 15 min boil because there will not be any hop additions. I saw in another thread I can use corn sugar in lue of corn flakes. but with my high OG I may not need much. Does this look OK.

I ended up boiling the second addition about 45 min. cooled to 70 F and dumped it in on the first half. I already had actifity on the first boil, I hope it turns out OK.

This thing fermented out in two days. OG was 1.055 and FG is 1.010. I tasted my sample and I think it's going to be real good. I racked it into a carboy with some gelletin to try and clear it up some before I keg it.

Back