First Go

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LokiTrickmaster

Reaction score
So, I was in Seattle over labor day weekend and my friend took me to Big Time Brewing Co. They had this dark hard cider that was just about the most delicious thing I had ever tasted in my whole life. So i'm setting out to make my own. I'm a fairly accomplished brewer with about 10 different brews under my belt, so I figured i'd give it a shot. Unfortunately, after reading what everyone else has done, i'm a little worried about how mine is going to turn out. But I already started it... so it's too late. I used this local place's cider instead of apple juice, so I knew it would already be spiced right.

4 gallons of the local cider mill's cider (Uncle Johns Cider Mill: http://www.ujcidermill.com/)
2 pounds of brown sugar
1/2 pound of black strap molasses
2/3 pound of pure honey
1/4 gallon of water

I made sure the cider was good. Turns out it's got no preservatives and not even pasteurized. Dangerous... but good for my purposes.

Used 1 gallon of cider and the water to dissolve the molasses, honey, and sugar. Poured it all together, tossed some champaign yeast in, and hopefully everything will work out. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.

Back