first ferment - Wyeast 4766 + Kirkland Signature = thin Crispin Browns Lane Classic English Dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huh?

Reaction score
first ferment. been drinking hard cider since about 1996, starting with Hardcore at the MD Renaissance Festival. I was a beer drinker with a sour taste in my mouth and a gurgling gut. A friend's fiance forced me to try the hard cider and it cured my woes and then some!

Wyeast 4766 + Kirkland Signature approx = thin Crispin Browns Lane Classic English Dry.

6 gals juice into 30l Speidel primary; transfer to 20l Speidel for cold crash in mini-fridge at 34 deg.

Wyeast 4766 - beat the heck outta the package but still didn't completely mix the components somehow (learned later). Gave it 90 mins at 72 room temp before pitching and it worked awesome. Started slow and steady, built up speed, ran like a locomotive for days, weeks even. I could have grown a beanstalk to the moon from my basement with all that CO2.

Kirkland Signature juice - not from concentrate, quality product. $4.25 gal. My ultimate goal is juice from MD/PA orchards this Fall. Now the local orchards have frozen/thawed juiced for $5-6 gal. In the Fall, orchards do wholesale for much less. One said 55 gals would be $3.50/gal in my single container.

Fermented in basement at 68. Didn't even use hydrometer, lacked measuring cylinder, but sensed it was 90%+ done based on air lock activity, less smells, etc. (Didn't have a original gravity reading either, oops).

Cider smelled like the real deal! Wow. Sort of like morning after, warm, uncarbonated, but QUALITY cider. Surface was clean, very slight oily, smelled good. No mold, mildew, spots, nor anything worrisome.

Warm, uncarbonated tasting reminded me of a thin Crispin Browns Lane Classic English Dry. same with a cold crashed uncarbonated.

I earned my stripes and right to post by opening the sixtel and with the $5000 clampy tool thing and a small screw driver which is still stuck in my forehead. A solid first ferment makes me more legit.

Y/T videos and HomebrewTalk pages helped immensely, thanks!

Next ferment planned is Champagne Yeast and juice back sweetening aiming for a homemade Gumption, my favorite.

Last edited:
Now the local orchards have frozen/thawed juiced for $5-6 gal. In the Fall, orchards do wholesale for much less. One said 55 gals would be $3.50/gal in my single container.

I'm so jealous. It's $10/gallon here from orchards, and there are only a few. I even reached out to the gardening and fruit clubs in the surrounding area. Nope, no suggestions. Supposedly, some local-ish homebrew shops arrange groupbuys of cider juice, but we'll see. I decided to make cider too late for that.

It's still fun, and I like the 5 gallons I made. And still more economical than buying cider. But nothing like those prices.

I let the cider sit in the 20l Speidel after cold crash while I tried to figure out how to pull off my first kegging.

Aiming for a co2 transfer using the two Speidel spigots, I rigged up the following.
co2xfer-1sttry.jpg

Jammed the 9/16" OD" gas line into a short section of the 1/2" ID Ultrabarrier tubing that fits the Speidel spigot. Figured it would hold at 2 psi and it did. Only issue was lower liquid spigot got mostly turned off from just moving the liquid fill line as I monitored the fill. Sort of a scare that I'd overpressurize it would blow. Might have to upgrade the spigot but I'd prefer to go inexpensive and get it to work with the plastic valves.

Its in the kegerator at serving psi. 10 for now but I will research and adjust. I'll check it next weekend!

kegged.jpg

what an adventure for a first-timer!

As soon as I mentioned home keg serving my 75+ Mom told a story of some guy who "blew his head off" handling a keg at home. I told her I would only pick them up and not put them down so they don't get jostled. She said it happened when he was picking it up.

So far so good.

Last edited:
HomebrewTalk pages helped immensely, thanks!

Hell Yeah! I love this site! I haven't really posted anything since nearly all of my questions get answered from some thread somewhere on this website. I am a noob too, and just started drinking my first 1/2 gallon batch I made with d-47 i think it was, either that or 1118. I bottle conditioned, and it kind of worked, next time I am going to add more corn sugar, or use frozen apple juice concentrate instead of xylitol, which made it taste a little funny, although that "funny" taste might have been off flavors due to high temps during fermentation (I live in the top floor attic of an old vic in Oakland Ca, place gets hot in the day and cool at night; now I have a mini-fridge hooked up to an inkbird ITC-308 set at 70 degrees F with a gallon of cider in S-04, and I have a 3 gallon carboy in a cooler full of water using the wyeast 4766, temp stays between 68.7 and 70.2, which is perfect).

BTW, what brand fridge is that in your pic? Mine has a freezer, so I had to do a little modifying to make it work :p

Back