First ever homebrew contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redarmy990

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
Today was judging day in the first home brew contest i have entered.

I knew i wouldn't win but entered for the experience and to try to get feedback.

The judging was this afternoon, unfortunately i couldn't attend as I was coaching my soccer team

Any how just went on the website and my entry scored 27 points. And as yet no judges feedback.
I was wanting to know if 27 is a reasonable score.

Many thanks

Depends on the comp as to when you'll get feedback. Some email sheets out quickly (or upload to website if they've set it up that way). Some mail them. Some you have to pick up. Mailing used to be the standard but scanned/emailed is becoming more common. Either way don't expect sheets for at least a couple days. Some don't even post results for a couple days.

As far as a 27, that's in that "average homebrew" sort of realm but it depends on your particular set of judges. That score means lots of room for improvement, but plenty of positives as well.

Here are the score ranges from the judging sheet. A 27 is in the upper half of Good. It is a respectable score.

Outstanding (45 - 50): World-class example of style.
Excellent (38 - 44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning.
Very Good (30 - 37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws.
Good (21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws.
Fair (14 - 20): Off flavors/aromas or major style deficiencies. Unpleasant.
Problematic (00 - 13): Major off flavors and aromas dominate. Hard to drink

Oh boy, waiting for the scoresheets can be so frustrating! I entered my first competition a few years ago and it seemed to take weeks to get the score sheets out. I also scored a 27, FWIW.

My second competition judged yesterday and I got a ribbon for third on my table. The top two from each table made the Best of Show table, so I may have just missed it. They've promised the scoresheets sometime this week, but it feels like it could be forever! They did not post scores, only places, so I have no idea how much my scores improved, if at all.

I've been teetering on the brink of entering one of mine. I haven't looked around for local competitions so my goal this year is the state fair. Almost did it last year but chickened out. Using this spring's brewing to decide on a style I can do well enough to enter. Going to be either an American Strong or a blonde, or possibly something I can age a few months.

My sage advice, based on the huge total of two competitions, is to find your exact dates for submitting your brews and then to plan your brew date so your beers will be at the peak of freshness for whatever style you choose. That is the main thing I haven't done so far, and I have to think it will make a real difference.

Thanks all. The organizer have posted saying that score sheets will be uploaded/ emailed out but may take a week or 2.
This is a beer i had brewed last year for my dad when they came over from England, because i have only been doing all grain for a few months i experimented with different yeast and changed the caramel malt, It definatley wasn't as good as the original recipe i had done, but is very drinkable and my friends love the maltiness i got from this batch.

I saw the comp was local and thought what the hell, I can get some feedback here to help me move forward.

It was also the first time i had bottled from keg, so all kinds of things could have happened.

My sage advice, based on the huge total of two competitions, is to find your exact dates for submitting your brews and then to plan your brew date so your beers will be at the peak of freshness for whatever style you choose. That is the main thing I haven't done so far, and I have to think it will make a real difference.

Thanks. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but after looking online found that the Cascade Brewers Cup will be in May, and I've got a double IPA that will be perfectly fresh and ready right around dropoff time. AND I can drop off my entry at the LHBS I usually frequent. Here's to taking the plunge!

20 tends to be about as low as most judges will go unless there's something seriously wrong with the beer. I typically rate beers with minor fermentation flaws in the high 20s. A beer that doesn't have any major flaws but doesn't wow me usually gets mid to low 30s. Commercial quality beers get high 30s to low 40s. World class beers get high 40s.

Every judge is a little different so YMMV.

20 tends to be about as low as most judges will go unless there's something seriously wrong with the beer. I typically rate beers with minor fermentation flaws in the high 20s. A beer that doesn't have any major flaws but doesn't wow me usually gets mid to low 30s. Commercial quality beers get high 30s to low 40s. World class beers get high 40s.

Every judge is a little different so YMMV.
When describing real score ranges to new/prospective judges how to calibrate their scoring this is how I tend to do it:

"The breakdown on the bottom left of the scoresheet should be your guide. I would go by the actual descriptions on the right, not the terms on the left.

45-50: World Class. Should be damned near perfect- you can’t come up with anything to improve, and should be essentially the best example of the style you’ve had, definitely the best homebrewed example. Virtually nothing, even classic examples of the style, will score 50 points (I can think of precisely 3 beers, out of the thousands I’ve had, that I would consider 50 point beers, and then only under the right storage/serving conditions). That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t score a beer deserving 50 points accordingly, but it should reinforce just how rare a beer deserving that score is.

38-44: Very, very good. Technical faults (off flavors) all but non-existent (perhaps barely identifiable to the most trained of palates), and stylistic faults are VERY minor if at all. 38-40 think minor balance problems, 41-44 will be properly balanced but missing the “intangibles” that make it distinctly world class.

30-37: Generally quite good. On target, technical or stylistic faults are fairly minor. This is where a well brewed beer, that’s well within style parameters, but off balance is going to fall. Or a beer that is very good otherwise but has some minor off-flavors. The kind of beer that makes you think “this is good but doesn’t blow me away”. For example, may be slightly too bitter, or lacking complexity, or maybe could be a bit fresher and has a hint of oxidation, or a few slightly out of style characters.

21-29: Average to below adverage. Not horrible, but not great either. This is where beers that are drinkable but significantly out of style or have significant problems belong. At the upper end, beers that are somewhat in the realm of style but generally unremarkable or mediocre, or have noticeable but not severe off-flavors will fall. The bottom end may be highly out of style in core areas (stouts without roast, IPAs without hop character, etc), the off-flavors may be more significant, although falling short of undrinkable.

13-20: Towards the upper end, severely problematic and often unpleasant to drink, or EXTREME style problems- think a Pilsner that’s entered as a Stout. Towards the bottom end, basically to completely unpalatable. 13 is considered the bottom rung “courtesy score” for the worst of the worst, the equivalent of “you get this score for getting your beer here without being disqualified even if I cannot drink it”.

<13: Not used unless the most extreme of circumstances. I have never done it. Do not do it on the exam, or basically at all. "

If it was judged based on BJCP, its not a judges "opinion" or what he likes best. It would have been judged to a specific style category and subcategory that it was entered into. That being said, a great yummy wonderful beer might flunk a judging because it was not "to style". For an extreme example... If you brewed a milk stout with Kolsch yeast and entered it as a Kolsch, you'll wind up with a score of 13 if you are lucky. It will probably taste great but nothing about it will be a Kolsch.

If you are brewing to your own tastes, it doesn't matter one iota what judges think about it. If you are brewing for a sanctioned competition, you need to brew to what the judges are scoring on. Neither way is bad or good.

A 26 is 52% but until you get the score sheets, you don't know where the scores came from. You may have aced one aspect and scored low on another. You may have had some faults like diacetyl, oxidation, or light struck. It could be many things. Get your scoresheets and read the comments and scores. Then look at the 2015 style guide to see how your brew did against the category you entered.

Enter the same brew in multiple competitions if there some others in your area. Sometimes results vary. I just entered a competition in 3 categories. An Irish Red, A Saison, and a Kolsch. I thought for sure the Saison would do well. It placed 5th as did the red. The Kolsch (which is yummy but was not on my radar) took a 1st and a best of show.

Also make 100% sure you are entering it into the correct category. Nearly every judge here (as well as myself) has judged a beer that was way out of spec and we wondered what happened with the classification. It doesn't mean it tasted like crap, it may have been awesome, it just wasn't anything near what we were expecting for the category marked on the bottle.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Qhrumphf, You werent judging at the scorpion brewing contest in Ownings MD at the weekend were you.
Ah-ha! We entered the same competition. Piet replied to my email yesterday morning and said he had all the scoresheets scanned at home, that tables 1 and 2 were already uploaded, and he hoped to process the rest over the next few days. It will only seem like a few years instead of a few days!

That can be a challenge. The NHC for my region had to have beers submitted but Mar 30, but judging starts April 20th. Hard to have a fresh beer for that comp.

Ouch. For the one I'm entering the deadline is 4/28, and the judging will be 5/4. Going to drop mine off on the last day so it stays fresh.

Ah-ha! We entered the same competition. Piet replied to my email yesterday morning and said he had all the scoresheets scanned at home, that tables 1 and 2 were already uploaded, and he hoped to process the rest over the next few days. It will only seem like a few years instead of a few days!

Actually got my score sheets last night, got some really good feedback.
Iwill try to upload them, just wish Judges had better hand writing LOL

I think it is kinda funny that one judge says that bitterness is low for the style and the other says it is high. At least they both agree that carbonation was too low. That is a pretty common problem when bottling from a keg.

I think it is kinda funny that one judge says that bitterness is low for the style and the other says it is high. At least they both agree that carbonation was too low. That is a pretty common problem when bottling from a keg.

Hard to read, but I think they both agreed low hop profile. One got more bitterness than the other, but the hop profile wasn't present. Penmenship apparently elluded these guys though.

I mostly pay attention to the flavor comments as that is what I look for in a beer:

Moderate? biscuit and bready malt flavor. Low caramel note. Hop bitterness is medium low - too low for this style. Low earthy? hop flavor. Balance to the malts. Finish is semi-dry with a low touch of bitterness in the finish and after taste. No esters.

vs

Bread and toffee malt flavors are quickly overwhelmed by high bitterness. Low hop flavor, low carbonation, gives low flavor.

Yeah illegible comments is a tough one. I know when I'm judging that after a whole day my fingers are about to fall off (and my writing isn't the best under most circumstances).

Freshness definitely makes a big difference and it looks like they picked up on that with comments about muted flavours. Don't forget as well that they're judging "to-style" so you can have a great beer but if its off the mark style-wise they'll ding you for it.

I try to take a look at the qualifications of the judges on my scoresheets when interpreting the feedback. Looks like you got a grand master bjcp judge and a rookie which is something a lot of comps try to do - pair up experience with inexperience.

Ultimately all that matters is if you and your friends enjoy it. Use some of the comments for constructive feedback or just ignore them if you don't agree. It's easy to have a moderate or bad comp score ruin something that you otherwise enjoy!

Just a quick suggestion as well that it's a good idea to black out the names/emails of the judges if posting a scoresheet.

In the future, I'd cover/obscure the judge's name and contact info if you're gonna post sheets. This is common practice amongst BJCP judges when sharing sheets (good or bad) both on the website and online.

I know personally i would prefer entrants not publicly post my name and email address. Any direct commentary (good or bad) to or about a judge themselves should go privately to the judge or comp organizer.

In the future, I'd cover/obscure the judge's name and contact info if you're gonna post sheets. This is common practice amongst BJCP judges when sharing sheets (good or bad) both on the website and online.

I know personally i would prefer entrants not pubicly post my name and email address. Any direct commentary (good or bad) to or about a judge themselves should go privately to the judge or comp organizer.

Thanks, have actually deleted the upload as dont want to get in trouble. It never crossed my mind when i up loaded.

I thought the comments were extremely fair and will help me moving forwards with my brewing, will i enter any more contests Yes definatley, will i improve, Hopefully.

So here's a question for all of you bottle-from-the-keg guys...how do you make sure the carb doesn't fade? I was thinking of taking off the disconnect from the carb line and blasting each bottle with some co2 before filling them...will that help? Granted I'll only have less than a week from bottling to judging, but I want to make sure the bottles are fully carbed. I know I'm not going to win anything, it's the comments I'm after, and I surely don't want to read "undercarbed for the style, flat, etc.". I haven't kegged it yet, should I just bottle carb them and hope for the best?

I used the We need no stinking beer gun method,in the bottling and kegging section., but judging by the comments i lost carbonation somewhere
Maybe i will need to invest in a stinking beer gun afterall.

So here's a question for all of you bottle-from-the-keg guys...how do you make sure the carb doesn't fade? I was thinking of taking off the disconnect from the carb line and blasting each bottle with some co2 before filling them...will that help? Granted I'll only have less than a week from bottling to judging, but I want to make sure the bottles are fully carbed. I know I'm not going to win anything, it's the comments I'm after, and I surely don't want to read "undercarbed for the style, flat, etc.". I haven't kegged it yet, should I just bottle carb them and hope for the best?
You need to keep as much CO2 in suspension as possible. Purging first is good and necessary, but that's more oxidation than carb.

Invest in a proper bottle filler (Beer Gun, counter pressure filler, etc, or a diy variation). Long, narrow lines, narrow stem, keep everything cold, etc.

Carb slightly higher than normal (like 2.6-2.7 instead of 2.5 volumes) to account for loss. Keep things as cold as you can (near freezing), and/or lower head pressure on keg to minimize foaming. Purge bottle with CO2, fill from bottom until beer (not just foam, but actual beer) flows over from top. Remove filler. Purge headspace, moving down enough to cause enough surface disruption (just above liquid level) to cause foam up to/over mouth of bottle. Cap immediately. I've had hand bottled beers hold up carb/hold off signidicant oxidation, even stored warm for over a year, when bottled this way.

Here is a picture of the beer I sent to the contest.
I defiantly lost carbonation somewhere.
As Qhrumphf says I think I need to over carb first to allow for losses during bottling.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    900.6 KB · Views: 72
You need to keep as much CO2 in suspension as possible. Purging first is good and necessary, but that's more oxidation than carb.

Invest in a proper bottle filler (Beer Gun, counter pressure filler, etc, or a diy variation). Long, narrow lines, narrow stem, keep everything cold, etc.

Carb slightly higher than normal (like 2.6-2.7 instead of 2.5 volumes) to account for loss. Keep things as cold as you can (near freezing), and/or lower head pressure on keg to minimize foaming. Purge bottle with CO2, fill from bottom until beer (not just foam, but actual beer) flows over from top. Remove filler. Purge headspace, moving down enough to cause enough surface disruption (just above liquid level) to cause foam up to/over mouth of bottle. Cap immediately. I've had hand bottled beers hold up carb/hold off signidicant oxidation, even stored warm for over a year, when bottled this way.

Fantastic, thanks. I've built a DIY bottle filler (from HBT of course) and will give it a practice shot with what I've got on tap before I bottle the entries. Wish me luck, I'll report back with results.

Did you get your scoresheets by mail or by email? I am still waiting for mine.

I entered two IIPAs - one was bottle carbed and I thought past its prime. The other was keg carbed and I thought it was clearly the better beer. Both were to style. The older bottle carbed beer was the one that got the ribbon. I expect the other one is going to get under-carbed comments as well. I used the "no stinking beer gun" method as well, but suspect I did not use it very well.

I'd be interested in looking at the comments if you upload again. That's a nice looking beer. What's the recipe?

I got my comments. Otter Juice got 32 points and a third place ribbon. The judges (one a brewing professional and the other with no marked ranking) loved the aroma but felt the flavor did not match the aroma. Welcome to San Diego, the much fresher brew, got 24 points and was whacked pretty hard for oxidation by one and a "bitter metallic taste" by the other. They also commented that the bottle was not full. I think the latter beer was a better brew, but pretty clearly my first attempt at bottling from the keg was a dismal failure.

Oh well, I entered to learn, not to win, and learn I did. I need to figure out how to bottle from the keg.

If I need something for a contest I will typically up the pressure on the keg a couple lbs a day before I bottle. I then purge the keg, purge the bottle (with CO2 from an extra CO2 tank), set the pressure on the keg to about 2-3lbs. I fill the bottles with a racking cane on a drilled cork that is stuck into a picnic tap. I counter pressure fill it till it overflows with beer. I remove the racking cane, add a little beer if the fill is short, purge the headspace with CO2 and cap it. I always purge the headspace with CO2 when I am filling bottles, even if they are bottle primed and will be bottle conditioned.

Back