First Dubbel Recipe Critique, Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucketnative

Reaction score
Title says it all. I'm looking for a good, raisiny flavor with a bit of toffee and some esters from the yeast.

This will be a 4.0-gal batch.

7.5 lb German Pilsner 75%
0.5 lb Special B 5%
1.0 lb CaraMunich II 10%
1.0 lb Belgian Candi Syrup Amber 40L 10%

Pellet Hops
1.0 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 60 min
1.0 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 5 min

Mash
152 F for 60 min - 1.3 qt/lb

Target 4.0 gal in fermenter - OG = 1.071

Yeast: WY3522 Belgian Ardennes - at least 75 F (basement in the summer)

I'm kind of trying to understand the role of CaraMunich II, and what it will add. From what I gather Special B will get me the raisin, but perhaps the CaraMunich II is redundant with the Candi Syrup?

Updating this. After about one year of aging in the bottles, this beer is pretty darn good. Just in case anyone stumbles across it in the future. I ended up fermenting the beer in the basement with no temperature control (probably 85F highest temp reached), and after a month in the bottle it was really estery, with what seemed to be fusel burn. So, perhaps a bit too high in temp for the 3522. It has taken a year to age all of that out. Now it's good and a very persistent head wonderful crystal clear reddish brown. It's pretty. I would definitely brew this again, but with lower temps.

Once my 3 gallon fastferment comes in later this year, a dubbel will be one of my first small batch brews to do. It doesn't get cold here and my house never rises above 80 in the summer, any suggestions on a yeast? Plan to brew January time frame and drink next Thanksgiving or later

I always use white labs for my yeast and really any of the Belgian strains will work well. I'm about to brew a dubbel as well and I choose the wlp500 monastery ale. Gives a great plum/stone fruit flavor. Cool to 65° and let it ride up on its own, I've let my Belgian strains get as high as 80°

Your recipe looks great as is. I may basically steal it, and give it a try with Danstar Abbaye dry yeast. Perhaps I'll also go with the dark (90L) candi syrup instead of the Amber.

Your recipe looks great but some food for though next time you brew this guy. If you want to add anything awesome to it (depending on availability) you could do a secondary fermentation with a date or golden raisin swirl. I'd say one pound of dates (with seeds removed) or one pound golden raisins with vodka blended into a paste in the secondary would be delightful. Also, you could add one pound of coconut sugar for the last 15 minutes of the boil for nutrients for your wonderful yeast and pushing up the ABV a wee bit. b^^

To answer your yeast question I believe there are two options, though in all fairness I make beastly quad Belgian regularly with Mangrove Jack M31. For yours you could go with Safale BE-256, BE-134 or Mangrove Jack M41 or M47. I have had wonderful results with Mangrove Jack yeasts and have used the Safale yeasts as backups with decent results depending on the various yeasts. I know these are dry yeasts, but I think simple is best. Wyeast and White Labs have great options as well, but I have award winning Belgian beers done with Mangrove Jack and Safale yeasts so I have stuck to them regarding Belgians. b^^

Latest posts

Back