First Decoction - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
Did a double decoction on 100% munich malt (best malz) yesterday. Overall it went pretty well, although it was a bit of work obviously. I have a few questions though.

1. Runoff was really restricted. I never have a problem with barley mashes - Is this from the decoction? Do you use rice hulls?

2. After cooling the wort (recirc thru plate chiller) it developed a really thick meringue-like head in the boil kettle. See attached pic. I've never seen this before. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

IMG_1491.jpg

I've done a couple of decoctions. Runoff usually seems to be about the same as a typical single infusion mash.

With Munich maybe if you have a very thick grain bed there could be problems. I have not run into any issues myself though, but a fine crush can cause issues if there was a very thick grain bed (like on a high gravity brew).

Have done the 100% munich malt mash many times myself and the results have always been incredible, especially double bocks!

Hmm. Did your decoction include a protein rest? It could just be smaller chain proteins you're not used to seeing post-mash. It's totally possible I've seen the same thing with my decoctions I just never paid much attention to it.

Also, in regards to the runoff, did you have a higher mash efficiency than usual? I usually get over 90% efficiency with a decoction. You might have just had a stickier mash than usual due to the higher sugar content, if that's the case.

i had a much higher eff than normal, although not quite 90%.

and yes, there was a long protein rest while i pulled, rested, and boiled the first decoction.

Back