First D-Rest, and I think I know what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed my first lager last Saturday, and it's been in the lagering fridge since Sunday afternoon, happily bubbling away out of the airlock. If I understand correctly, I need to start my d-rest when it's fermented 75%. My SG was 1.040 (missed the target 1044-1048), and the FG should be 1012-1014.

So if I'm correct, I should start my d-rest when I'm at 1019. Is this right? So my plan is to take a gravity reading this afternoon, and if I am at that number to start the d-rest. If not, then I'll take another reading tomorrow to see if I'm there, and so on.

Once I do start my d-rest, how long does it last? I thought I had read somewhere that d-rest should be 3 days, but my instructions say 24 hours.

This beer is a LME Schwarzwald Black Lager kit, and the thermometer in the fridge has been reading 49 to 50 degrees all week.

Thanks all!

Thanks so much, so if I haven't hit the 1019 gravity reading yet, how often should I subsequently check it? Every day, every other day?

Back