First crack at a DIY Glycol chiller setup. Dehumidifer style.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skraeling

Scientist Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I had this ancient dehumidifer sitting in my basement. It was given to me for free. One day while running it the magic smoke was released from the plug.

Dammit.
bdtq760.jpg

Never fear! The rest of the bugger looks fine though. Why not wire in a new one. And so it was thusly wired. Now.... Time to rip this shitter apart.

Making progress... This is going way too easy... why is this this easy. Sneaky photo patoots.
kVSI9wV.jpg

Well then... Ran to walmart once I confirmed the thing still ran and chilled... huzzah it does!
I needs me a cooler.

See, cooler.
duyVyWW.jpg

I must notch you good sir cooler.... off to lunch with cooler in tow for lunch with the family and a Dad who likes to use power tools. NOTCH ME BABY one more time.

Ohhhhh yeah thats the good stuff.
cuRPuLN.jpg

Things to do still.

• Foam where the hose goes in
  • Drill holes in the lid for the chill bath lines
  • thermowell for the temp probe (still not sure how I want to set the parameters for it)
  • Kick my old ferm fridge out the door
  • Buy the FTSS stuff for my brew bucket
  • Buy more fermentors
  • build a Dolly / Cabinet for this whole setup to make it look pretty.
  • Make lots more beer

Updates.

The ferm fridge has been sold for what I bought it for 4 years ago. Yay.

The ftss2 Kit has been ordered and should arrive next week.

Still need to tackle the other items on the list now.

Well the kit is in and works really well. I’m frankly unimpressed by the quality on the neoprene jacket as I’ve already popped some stitches on it. The quick disconnect kit while niceim not sure honestly how useful the included insulated sleeving will be as it seems rather thin.

Another minor annoyance I had to cut a hole for my original temp probe location as I have the brewmaster edition bucket which has a thermowell on the front. This seems kinda stupid that I had to hack a hole in my own jacket so it didn’t look like my bucket was chubbing out.

Overall though I’m for the most part satisfied with it.

IMG_6885.JPG

Back