Yes, another DIY A/C Glycol Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeerMedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know, I know. You're tired of seeing a window A/C unit and a cooler turned into a glycol chiller on the cheap. And this post isn't any different. However I just saved about $850 by doing this. I do not have any pictures of the step by step, we all know what that entails. I didn't mainly because if I screwed up the A/C, I didn't want any record of it. I do have several photos of the finished product. I was surprised how easy it was to do, as I'm no Bob the Builder.

First thing. undo the three bazilion screws in the cabinet. Save them if you plan to use the cover again like I did.At first glance, I didn't think I was going to have enough tubing to straighen, but there is plenty.Depending on the A/C unit you get and the size of your cooler, you might have to bend it several different ways to get it to work. It wasn't really that bad, just take your time and think before you bend.

So, without further ado...

IMG_5080.jpeg
IMG_5078.jpeg
IMG_5082.jpeg
IMG_5077.jpeg
IMG_5083.jpeg
IMG_5079.jpeg
IMG_5081.jpeg
IMG_5084.jpeg

I added the PVC to support the evap coil and minimize any strain on the copper.
I misjudged cutting the notch for the freon lines, but the expanding foam fixed that and gave me a way to run my pump power without cutting anymore notches. I still have to wire up the Inkbird ITC 1000 and put in the circulation pump. Not too bad for a little over $110 and about five hours of work. Updates to come.

Last edited:
Just wondering all you who use Glycol chillers, have you ever thought of using water chillers, like the ones used in hydroponics? I'm able to get down to around 39ºF with mine at half the cost. Wonder how many might have considered using an alternative to glycol.

Just wondering all you who use Glycol chillers, have you ever thought of using water chillers, like the ones used in hydroponics? I'm able to get down to around 39ºF with mine at half the cost. Wonder how many might have considered using an alternative to glycol.
JD I did look at them. However for the hot southern climate in North Carolina, the research I did didn’t look favorable to reach the temps I wanted to for lagering or prolonged cold crashes.

I dont know what that would be . Where I live it's hot and I need to Lager as well. The glycol maintains a steady temp it hardly kicks on .

I dont know what that would be . Where I live it's hot and I need to Lager as well. The glycol maintains a steady temp it hardly kicks on .
My chiller rarely comes on also, the water is recirculated in a well insulated cooler.

JD I did look at them. However for the hot southern climate in North Carolina, the research I did didn’t look favorable to reach the temps I wanted to for lagering or prolonged cold crashes.

Just curious, what temps are you trying to maintain? I live in SoCal, San Fernando Valley where summertime temps can reach well over 100º for days.

Ok I'll look one of those up. Never heard of it.

Just Googled them . While they're not as expensive as a professional gylcol chiller it is more expensive then my DIY chiller. However if you add the glycol my DIY came to just about 300. Those do look pretty cool though.

Ok I'll look one of those up. Never heard of it.

Just Googled them . While they're not as expensive as a professional gylcol chiller it is more expensive then my DIY chiller. However if you add the glycol my DIY came to just about 300. Those do look pretty cool though.

Hey, if DIY works for you, have at it! I bought my unit used, paid $250 for it, the small cooler, water lines and extra insulation was another $50, so I'm right there with ya!

My first chiller was a large Pelican cooler, I froze 2- 2 gallon tupperware containers for block ice, and I was cooling both fermenters to around 50º, the ice lasted about 7 days!

Hey, if DIY works for you, have at it! I bought my unit used, paid $250 for it, the small cooler, water lines and extra insulation was another $50, so I'm right there with ya!

My first chiller was a large Pelican cooler, I froze 2- 2 gallon tupperware containers for block ice, and I was cooling both fermenters to around 50º, the ice lasted about 7 days!

Shoot that's good man . I wouldn't have an issue of going that route if I hadn't already made something. I'm only a couple hours north of you . Bakersfield area.

Is that frozen ^^^^?

Hope he doesn't intend on using water...thats going to be a problem I think.

Yes it is frozen. Just a test using water to see how the system performed while I wait for Amazon to deliver my glycol and circulation pump. I’d say this was successful.

Last edited:
What pump are you using for circulating glycol through the cooling coils in the fermenter?

Back