First clean of Chugger Xdry Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a chugger xdry pump for xmas! Wondering how to prepare it for first use? Can you just pump cleaner through it or is it recommended to pull it all apart and clean it that way?

After using it, what's the recommended cleaning practices?

Also, what's the best way to use it to clean kegs? Can i fill the keg with cleaner and hook up the pump to both posts and just recirculate it for a while?

Don't see any replies here... so i'll reply even though it's old. For the pumps I pump cleaner through them after my brew day is finished (water, then pbw mix, then sanitizer mix). Every few months you'll want to pull open that front and take a peak/clean it out.

I don't see any reason you couldn't recirc through a keg if you wanted to.

The only possible issue you may have recirculating through a keg is getting the pump to prime.
you may need to raise the keg above the pump to create a bit of positive suction head.

When cleaning the pump, circulate the hottest water/cleaning solution you have access to through it.

good thought.. may be easier to connect "gas out" to the "pump in" otherwise it'll be hard to get a flow started.

That won't do it for you. For it to work at all, the pump inlet needs to be connected to the kegs liquid out line.

Meant for the reply where the keg was going to be inverted... the gas-out is about 1" tall and would be able to gravity feed to the pump to prime it.

if the keg is standing up, i don't know how you'll get the pump primed unless you start it under pressure to get liquid "out".

unless the keg is upside down as many people clean them so the spray out the diptube cascades down the keg walls.. thats how I clean sankes..

I may have miss read.. i thought the guy was trying to clean his pump end of brew day by recirculating cleaner that is kept stored in a keg. If it's to clean a keg that's probably not going to be good enough.

Great idea inverting the keg while pumping cleaner. I don't clean kegs with a pump, so never had looked into it.

I have a HERMS system with two pumps. I don't feel the need to clean with PBW after every brew. I think its a bit of a waste TBH. The first pump is used for the hot water so this pretty much cleans and sanitizes itself. I also use it to flush the HLT coil during the sparge which keeps that nice and clean.
For the wort pump, I use the water that I keep from chilling my beer and collect in the HLT. I fire up the element to keep it nice and hot. After the brew is complete I will use the hot water that I collected to flush the wort pump. Simple as that.
Every 6 or 7 brews I will pump some oxy clean or PBW around the whole system.

Back