First Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I have now transferred cider into a second demijohn, reading had been at 1.000 for 48 hours.. It still looks a bit cloudy but not as bad. What's my next action as I will be using bottles and how soon should I been look at bottling this...? Thanks for any advice!

View attachment 1421236946456.jpg

PS we did lose some of the cider when transfering it as someone wasn't paying attention grrrr lol!

Too much headspace, so work quickly. If the gravity is stable, and you want still cider, you could bottle. I don't remember what you're going for exactly.

Hi, thought the head room was a bit much... Ideally a fizzy cider so how would I get there lol? Thanks for the advice!

Time will get rid of that. Lots of time.

Here's what I do for sweet, fizzy cider.

Ferment 2 gallons of cider. Let it sit for a month. (Pectic enzyme, nutrient before fermenting.)

Add pectic enzyme and campden to a 3rd gallon and let it sit for 2 days. Carefully combine the two. You don't want to introduce any more oxygen than necessary.

At this point, I combine them in a keg and carbonate.

To bottle carb, combine them into your bottling bucket with any additional priming sugar (I would be tempted to not add sugar and just rely on the sugar in the fresh juice to carb. It will be a little less sweet this way, though.)

Bottle in glass EXCEPT for one plastic bottle. Monitor that bottle carefully. The second it is firm (rock hard), you have to pasteurize or refrigerate. Pasteurization is a better choice. If you don't, you'll have explosions. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.

Bottle in glass EXCEPT for one plastic bottle. Monitor that bottle carefully. The second it is firm (rock hard), you have to pasteurize or refrigerate. Pasteurization is a better choice. If you don't, you'll have explosions. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.

I'm a total noob, but what's the purpose of the one plastic bottle?

Back