First Cider Attempt So Far

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilkes777

Reaction score
Hey all.
Well if you saw my post a couple of weeks back you would know that i was going to start my first batch of cider :) anyway iv started on turbo as i sasid in my last post.
Its been just over 2 days now and its fermenting but as i have nothing to compare it too im not sure wether the stuff on top is actually krausen or soemthign else as there seems to be alot of it and im not too sure what its supposed to look like :p Also if it makes any difference its doing about 20-25 pulses of bubbles per minute in the airlock :)

Its not clear as i used cloudy apple juice to begin with.

I have attached an image of it and would love some feed back on it.

Many Thanks

10ds75k.jpg

Congrats! And now you are hooked

Oh and no brew will be clear until after fermentation is complete, no matter what the recipe is.

*edit: I hit 500!!!

What type of yeast did you use.

It looks like a cider fermenting to me. I had one with no foam and one that had a little. But have seen pictures of ones like yours. wrap it up, put it away and FORGET ABOUT IT for 4 weeks. Then go back and check the SG.

Its going to be fine. The hardest part is the wait and trying not to worry.

Looks normal to me. Now you can watch those tiny, mezmerizing bubbles & smell the yeasty/appley goodness coming from the airlock... Go ahead, we all do at some point (chuckles out loud) Regards, GF. :D

Thanks thats took alot off my mind ^^

In regard to lapaglia's post i used Youngs Cider Yeast.

suppose ill just have to wait and sit it out :(

ill post back with more pictures to update you all on my progress soon :)

And congratulations on getting 500 Tusch!

Edit: since this post quite alot of the krausen has started falling to the bottom. im guessing that once it has all fallen then thats when i rack it off and bottle it if i wanted to?

Thanks thats took alot off my mind ^^

In regard to lapaglia's post i used Youngs Cider Yeast.

suppose ill just have to wait and sit it out :(

ill post back with more pictures to update you all on my progress soon :)

And congratulations on getting 500 Tusch!

Edit: since this post quite alot of the krausen has started falling to the bottom. im guessing that once it has all fallen then thats when i rack it off and bottle it if i wanted to?

You might want to wait & let it clear. Also: take a hydrometer reading to make certain it's done fermenting before you bottle, nobody wants bottle bombs. Out of curiosity, do you plan on carbonating this batch? Regards, GF.

You might want to wait & let it clear. Also: take a hydrometer reading to make certain it's done fermenting before you bottle, nobody wants bottle bombs. Out of curiosity, do you plan on carbonating this batch? Regards, GF.

Well as its my first batch i was only goign to carbonate one bottle this time round just to see how it goes and just leave the rest.
Any tips for carbonating? never done it befor and not to sure about it. (measurements etc.)

Thanks All :)

For the one(s) you want to carbonate, use beer bottles, or champagne bottles as they're built to withstand the pressure, ordinary wine bottles are not & may burst, or pop their corks. You can also use plastic (P.E.T.) bottles & screw caps, but I've never used them & so cannot advise you on their use. As for what you want to bottle still (non-carbonated), beer bottles will also work just fine, you can also use regular wine bottles if you like. The standard for carbonating beers & ciders is 3/4 cup dextrose (corn sugar), or 5oz by weight dextrose per 5 gallon batch. You'll have to adjust those measurements for metric/imperial measures. You can find more info on carbing here: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Priming and Bottling It's written for beer, but works just fine for cider too. Hope you find this info useful. Regards, GF.

For the one(s) you want to carbonate, use beer bottles, or champagne bottles as they're built to withstand the pressure, ordinary wine bottles are not & may burst, or pop their corks. You can also use plastic (P.E.T.) bottles & screw caps, but I've never used them & so cannot advise you on their use. As for what you want to bottle still (non-carbonated), beer bottles will also work just fine, you can also use regular wine bottles if you like. The standard for carbonating beers & ciders is 3/4 cup dextrose (corn sugar), or 5oz by weight dextrose per 5 gallon batch. You'll have to adjust those measurements for metric/imperial measures. You can find more info on carbing here: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Priming and Bottling It's written for beer, but works just fine for cider too. Hope you find this info useful. Regards, GF.

Thank You so much GF for all the help. Your post answered all the questions i had. Thanks for all the speedy replies.

I will post back in a couple of days with pics of my progress. Until then happy brewing :)

Back