First build, vintage 1940s maybe 50s fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrrickard

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the board, also new to home brew and DIY kegerators. It was always my goal to have an old vintage fridge as a kegerator, so here is a quick story. I had a friend that had this old 1940s GE fridge in his garage and over the course of maybe 15 years I tried to buy it, he would never sell, at one point I offered him stupid money for it and he still said no even though he had not used it in over 10 years. One day he calls me up and tells me to come get the fridge it is in his way, I ask him how much and he is so angry at the moment he just tells me to come get it!!!, Well needless to say I was super excited, after 15 years I finally got his fridge, Its in really good shape, had has all original stickers hardware, drawers and glass. So I was torn about cutting it apart to make a kegerator. Well this was about 2 years ago I have had this fridge in my garage using it for beers and sodas, and the other day I happened to obtain ANOTHER 1940/50s GE fridge in working condition!!!! this one is not in as great of shape as my first but it works and is solid, so that is why I am here. I saw multiple posts and builds on vintage fridges, I have a good idea where to start and what to expect. What I was hoping for was some advice or insight from those who have done or worked on these. What type of problems will I likely face? where can I get replacement gaskets? what type of C02 setup? I would like to do this as close to right as I can, also maybe a place to get replacement badges and handles. I will post pictures when I get home tonight of both fridges. Thanks in advance to all and look forward to hearing from you soon. FYI the sticker on the fridge do not express my political views lol, also apologize for the mess in the fridge, had a soda or two blow up even on a lower setting it iced up since its winter, cold block garage

updated

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Back