First brewday done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to know how your nut brown ale turns out. I am wanting to brew the same on my first or second brew.

I would love to know how your nut brown ale turns out. I am wanting to brew the same on my first or second brew.

I'll do an up date t -30 days give or take. but brewing was ease one extract and one hop addition at the start of boil.

Congrats on your first born. Don't fool yourself into thinking you can forget about it for 2 weeks. You'll be looking at it daily,admiring you new born baby. At least that's what I did for the first several batches.

Congrats on your first born. Don't fool yourself into thinking you can forget about it for 2 weeks. You'll be looking at it daily,admiring you new born baby. At least that's what I did for the first several batches.

Your right about that I looked in before bed last night was just starting bubble this morning there is a krausen and bubbling is very fast i'm graphing the temps over the 2 weeks to make sure that room is not going to get to cold was 70 last night and 68 this morning while the yeast is vary active. Do you think the colder temps could be problem at the end when the yeast is less active and generating less heat?

Last edited:
Welcome to the hobby. :mug: I know I still check on my brews way too often. But it has saved me from having to clean up a mess more than once. The temperature depends on the yeast you used. Some bigger brain correct me if I'm wrong, but those temps are just right for most ale yeasts. And in my experience as long as the beer gets a good 7-10 days at those temps you're good.

Welcome to the addiction! I mean hobby! I'm not far from you in Canandaigua. I keep my fermenters in my basement year round. The temperature seems to stay around 66-68 all year. So far I have not had an issue with my beers fermenting. Knock on wood! I just started a hard cider last night for my best friend. Hopefully there are no issues with that.

Like others have said, try to keep your fermenters on the cooler side if possible. In the summer you may need to look into other options, b/c I know they can get pretty warm up here for the 30-60 days of summer we have (if we're lucky). ;-)

Congrats and keep us posted on your first child! I mean brew!!!!! :tank:

Now that the first brew is out of the way, what's next? :p

I have a 1 gallon porter kit by brewer's best from my local brew store I picked up planned for next weekend. Past that I'm hold till I work out getting some more bottles. I have another post looking for recipe for the next 5 gallon batch, something my wife would like I hope. If all works out should be able to brew that on the week end of the 30th That should give a few in the pipeline.

I can see how this can get out of hand. I'm trying gather the equipment I need as cheaply as possible but still see me spending a little out each pay on things I need LOL. but should be picking up 2 more 1 gallon ferments so I can have 3 test batches going and once I find something love can move it to a 5 gallon. I have people looking for bottles for me and some foam insulator board to build a fermentation box And I toll craigslist daily looking for some big drink coolers.

Congrats on your first brew.

It is a fun addiction. errr I mean hobby that has a good benefit...beer....

Getting bottles take some ingenuity. Ask your friends...ask at a local bar for bottles that are not twist offs. I used to walk my dog on trash day and raid the neighbors recycling bins.

Update: Just Pulled sample gravity went from 10.43 to 10.12 taste great still slightly sweet so ill let go another week see what we get. Also just finished my second batch 1 gallon porter and checked my LHBS and he has everything I need for my first brew in a bag all grain based on BierMunchers Blue Balls Belgian wit recipe. Just need to make sure I have the bottles needed for that.

Congrats! Waiting is the hardest part... especially when you work from home like I do. I think the only way to scratch the itch is to brew more often while I wait. Now I see what others mean by "obsession".

Obsession is right Slowing planing out brew days and upgrades for the next few months lol I even i have a hard cider set up for next fall and sourced some unpasteurized cider :) the people i work with are probably ready for be to stop talking about it.

Update: Just bottled it up ended with a gravity of 1.02 should be just shy of 5%abv tastes good a bit lighter then I hoped but the wife will enjoy it as well.

Back