First brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarcha

Reaction score
Hi All

This is my first brew, besides Mr Beer, I have noticed alot of floating particale since I last checked my gravity. Here is a picture, could you please what you think. This is a golden Ale.

Thankyou Rich

CSC_0005.jpg

Honestly wouldn't worry about it. I'm on my second bat h & my first what had funky crap on top that looked like mold but it bottled fine with no particulate in the beer

Well if it smells and looks funny then maybe but those look like tiny bubbles right? I have those now and have done taste test and all and everything is fine but whats those orange goobers(yeast rafts?) and whats that thing in the lower left? reflection maybe? If mine looked like that i would still bottle. Just keep a eye on it and see. Remember one thing someone pointed out to me that "see that infection thread?" Well out of all those post there were only like 4 infections in like 40 some odd post so its likely 1 in a million kinda thing. I wouldnt worry like brushvalley said leave the crud behind :) Now if its really starts growing something that looks like a horror movie id worry but right now JUUUUUUUSSSST REEEEELLLAAAAAAAAX :)

If you do DME additions in the BK,then you won't see it floating in the FV. Those look like hop & yeast particulate matter to me. Infections look way different. That's completely normal. RDWHAHB...

It's beer dust :ban:

Seriously, there's a reason why brew buckets are opaque. Fermentation is not pretty. Plus, the yeast are kinda shy and like to have a little privacy when they make baby yeasts.

I've had batches with way more stuff on top. So long as it isn't growing arm and legs you're fine.

To All and mtk6006

The beer smells and tastes great, nice hop aroma, as the picture goes there is still fermentation going on (white dots) on surface, the other part is a reflection from camera flash, the white floating particals looks like trud, yeast maybe, but as far as using a mesh bag to tranfer to bottling bucket, I asked my local brewer for a mesh bag, and said not to worry, that my siphon tip would not let alot of the particles thru. Should I still use one anyway.

Thanks Rich

Yes, you just went to the wrong place to get the bag. My local hardware store sells 1 gallon paint strainer bags that are the perfect size for slipping over the siphon. Use a rubber band to hold in place and siphon away. Be sure to sanitize (I always wash them first) the bag so it doesn't introduce something you don't want.

Back