First Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C17-EHSE

Reaction score
My son-in-law and I got our first brew into the carboy. Despites some mistakes that were more humorous than harmful, we are now anxiously waiting to taste our brew, It's an English Brown Ale Recipe from Austin Home Brew. :mug:

Dunno why the picture isn't showing up. Don't feel like messing with it...here's the link: http://flic.kr/p/9E3e7n

Oh, I also forgot to tell you, keep an eye on it. If the Krausen looks like it is getting right to the top, you may want to put a blow off tube in it. I had my first batch blow the air lock off and make a mess every where.

It looks good! You are covering it with a towel when you are not taking pics right? Light is bad for the hops in beer. But welcome to the addiction!

I had gotten the impression that unless it's sunlight or fluorescent light, it's not really that big of a deal. Mistaken impression?

Why risk it? A towel is cheap and is easy to wash if it get dirty. You are probably right, but do you want to risk the chance of skunking a whole batch of home brew? I sure wouldn't. I keep mine in a closet, and I still cover it.

Why risk it? A towel is cheap and is easy to wash if it get dirty. You are probably right, but do you want to risk the chance of skunking a whole batch of home brew? I sure wouldn't. I keep mine in a closet, and I still cover it.

Because right now it's in our kitchen and if I put something over it, it would have to still look really nice or else my wife will not go for it.

We were actually just discussing a better long-term place for the fermenters. I don't really want to lug a glass carboy down to the basement every time I brew. We are limited in locations because we have a toddler who I'm sure would love a rousing game of "Hide the Fermentation Lock" -- so it has to either be in a room that is off-limits to him, or else elevated.

I'm starting to lean towards just lugging it down to the basement anyway. Of course, the batches that are in the fermenters right now I don't really want to move a long distance for fear of aerating them in the process...

Once they start fermenting go ahead and move them all the air in it will be co2. That way you dont disturb the yeast when its time to rack :)

Once they start fermenting go ahead and move them all the air in it will be co2. That way you dont disturb the yeast when its time to rack :)

Okay, I will keep that in mind. I've got two going right now, one is 6 days from when I am tentatively planning to bottle it so I really don't want to disturb anything. But the other is in active fermentation right now, so I'll keep in mind I can move it if need be.

So you leave it in the fermenter in a kitchen where you have to have windows without a towel? Even with the blinds closed all day, it still gets light. I wouldn't risk it, but it's not my beer.

Eh, I'm just paranoid of dropping it I guess. Then again I pick the whole thing up and shake it when I aerate it, that's probably a much huger risk.

I guess it's also just that the guy who showed me how to brew my first batch talked me out of trying to carry it down the stairs, so that's been my mindset. You are starting to talk me into it.

As far as where it is right now, I am not worried at all about it skunking, there is absolutely no direct sunlight that gets to it ever and not all that much ambient light. But there are other reasons to move it to the basement anyway... Especially since I'm about to get a third fermenter going and I don't know if there's room on that countertop! :D

+1 on the blow-off tube. Easy to place and saves a lot of cleanup.

Nice work.

How is it that you joined in 2008, have 89 posts, and this is your first brew?

Thanks. I joined awhile back ago because I was interested, but things came up. I finally invested in the equipment and finally got going. I've learned a lot from everyone. Made brew day go quite well.

It looks good! You are covering it with a towel when you are not taking pics right? Light is bad for the hops in beer. But welcome to the addiction!

It's covered with a black tee shirt in a corner with no direct light.

Back