First brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexlerLepp

Reaction score
I cracked open one of my first brews last night after it had sat at room for 2 weeks and then chilled for about 2 hours. It looked wonderful and smelled great (pale ale) but then when I drank it, it had a horrible aftertaste of sharpness at the back of the tongue. Kind of a metallic/astringent flavor. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

My first brew didn't taste great after two weeks in the bottle let the rest of it sit for 4-6 weeks and chill for 24 hours...time will help with the taste

I used 4 lbs Pale malt extract syrup (unhopped) and 3 lbs Amber dry malt extract. 12 AAUs of Simcoe for one hour and 6 AAUs of Cascade. Safale US 05 yeast. Sanitized everything on the brew day with bleach and boiled water. Sanitized everything on the bottle day with the Starsan. I boil the wort for an hour and quickly cooled it down. One thing I didn't do was strain the wort as I poured it into the fermentor. Rehydrated the yeast and pitched it when the wort was under 90 degrees. I let the primary sit for one week then added .5 oz Cascade to dry hop. Let it sit another week and then bottled. I then let the bottle sit for 2 weeks and then (as I mentioned) chilled for a couple hours. What else can I tell you to help?

more time may take care of this. my beer had a similar flavor, let it sit in fermenter another week and it was fine, then bottled. the stuff is great now.

Okay so it sounds like I should just wait for another week or two. What happens if it is still bad then?

Then you wait longer! Also, let it chill for days if not a full week. Two hours isn't enough.

they say time will heal a broken heart, i guess you can say the same with ill tasting brew (sometimes). let it ride. or send it to me. LOL

Back