First brew! Wheat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunmojo

Reaction score
Well, this is going to be my very first try at brewing. I ordered a kit, and have read some threads. I basically put the whole process together in my head but just would like to lay it out so the more experienced of you out there could put in your 2 cents and help me out in case im going down the dark path.

I ordered a simple beer kit: includes 2 buckets, therm., etc. ill be using empty edelweiss beer bottles. I purchased the Brewferm Tarwebier kit. For the simple reason that I like wheat beer, and its one of few kits available here in Hungary.

Now, I was originally just going to do my very first batch exactly like the instructions tell me to. So I can see how the beer turns out and then start playing around....you know baby steps. BUT, after reading a little, I decided to start my first brew doing the following: its not lazy learning from people with more experience. :D

Brewferm Belgian Weitbeer kit 15L:

Muntons beer kit enhancer to replace sugar: decided to make the switch instead of using sugar. 750g as recommended in instructions, and then 150g before bottling.

Fermentation:
my current room temperature is 22.5C-23C, which is where ill be fermenting. (the instructions recommend 25C)

I plan on doing a long fermenting primary leaving the bucket alone for 4 weeks. iv read people are doing that now, seems easy with good results, not sure it thats the right thing for this type of beer).

Then transferring to a bottling bucket, with 150g of Muntons beer enhancer for bottling.

The bottles will be stored for about 1-2 weeks at the same 22.5-23C room temperature. them moving them to a cooler place for the rest of the time.

after the 1-2 weeks in the bottle at 22-23C for carbonation, the coolest I can store my bottles is around 15-18C, or in the fridge but thats around 5C (or below 41F)

Please let me know what you guys think. Im just not sure on the temps and the time... the confusing part is after bottling. how long and at what temperatures to keep my bottles. (as well as considering my options like i mentioned above about what storing temps. are available for me). I can always up my room temperature a little, but when it comes to cooler stuff I only have the my fridge or the 15-18C area.

Thanks everyone, hope this helps out others who are in the same situation.

Cheers!

The thing I see that stands out - ferment at a cooler temp. I may be wrong if wheat beer is different, but in general, you want to ferment at about 15 C. Do a search on swamp cooler on this site - basically a pail with cold water that you immerse your carboy into to keep the temp of the primary down.

B

EDIT: Where in Hungary? In September I cycled from Vienna to Budapest along the Danube. Nice from what I saw!

Budapest! not far behind the parliament in that picture of yours. :D very nice! YES!

wow. that is a big difference between temperatures. i have read most are around 70F which is 21C, in some wheat beer forums, talking about the taste difference between 68 and 72F or maybe its because its a Belgian wheat...?

Back