First brew - still cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark8478

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to home brew. I got a starter kit from amazon and got a lager. I followed the instructions to the letter, it fermented for around 2 weeks and the gravity reading said it was done. I then siphoned into a pressure barrel and that has been in my shed for around 2 weeks, although it has been hot weather - I've taken a little bit out the tap today to test and it's fairly cloudy, smells ok, just wondered if I'm doing something wrong? Any hints or tips would be appreciated - thanks.

Cloudy beer won't hurt you, but it may take your gut a little time to get used to the live yeast.

To your question - if I understand, you fermented for two weeks in one vessel, then transferred to the second that you are drawing your sample from. Without looking, my guess would be that the tap that you're drawing from is on the bottom, yes? There'll be some amount of sediment at the bottom that you're probably drawing out with the sample. That would account for the cloudiness.

We can get into how sometimes it's best to not follow kit directions and whether or not you made a lager or a lager malt bill with an ale yeast later, but how did it taste?

Cheers on your first batch!

A Lager? If it actually used lager yeast then they are fermented cold, allowed to rise for a d rest and finish and then lagered at 35oF for several weeks to achieve that crystal clear lager appearance.

If you can't lager like that then simply bottle or keg the finished beer and put them in a fridge for several weeks. If you bottle then you'll need them carbonated first, then lager

Cheers!

Sent from the Commune

Thanks for your reply - most reassuring. The tap is at the bottom of the barrel yes, I suppose when I moved it that would have moved the sediment around too. It tastes like beer should, only I only had a small taste as the cloudiness worried me. I think I will try an ale next...cheers guys!

Thanks for your reply - most reassuring. The tap is at the bottom of the barrel yes, I suppose when I moved it that would have moved the sediment around too. It tastes like beer should, only I only had a small taste as the cloudiness worried me. I think I will try an ale next...cheers guys!

You should really use a racking cane to siphon the beer off the yeast from above the cake, that way you'll avoid transferring too much trub.

At any rate, you can place the bottles in the fridge for a few days and the yeast will settle and clear. this would be like cold crashing prior to racking but after the fact.

Thanks - I did use a racking cane and siphon to transfer to my barrel, so it's not too bad, just doesn't look as crisp as I'd expected - I'll transfer to bottles and put in the fridge, really looking forward to it, will let you know how I get on.

You can also use stuff like gelatin and a good cold crash before bottling to drop all that stuff out. Regardless, it's still very drinkable, I'm sure.

Back