First brew started - a couple questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR-

Reaction score
Hi everyone. First time cider brewer here.

I started two 1 gallon batches yesterday afternoon.

Here's my 'recipe' per batch:
- 1 gallon apple juice / cider (no preservatives in either)
- 12 ounces honey
- 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
- 1 tsp yeast nutrient
- 1/3 packet of Red Star Pasteur Champagne (didn't rehydrate, pitched straight from package)

It's been about 18 hours since pitch and one batch is still dead calm. I'm not too worried yet, but I might be in another 18 hours! :p

Assuming these both take off, I'd like to try them in about 6 weeks.

Question 1
Would you guys recommend racking to sanitized 1 gallon carboys after primary fermentation? Or just saving the hassle and letting them mellow as is?

Question 2
If I'm thinking these will be consumed in a brief period of time (say a weekend), is there any harm in just cold crashing them and serving right from the primary fermenter / secondary? I guess my only concern would be the yeast adding off flavors.

Thanks for any input! :tank:

You will get a lot of different answers on how to proceed and there are a myriad of ways to do it. I would probably rack off of the lees at 10-14 days into a secondary. Let it sit in there for as long as you want to age and then rack to a clean container and pop it in the fridge.

If it tastes good at week 3, 4, 5 or 6 and the ABV is where you want it, just consume it, there's no rule that says you have to wait a specific length of time to enjoy it. It all just depends on if you want it dry or if you want it sweet.

Back